• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Media Server causing overheating, battery drain

Danjester

Aug 5, 2010
Got an S7, about three weeks ago the battery life suddenly went from around 18hr per charge to 12. It's running very hot and when I look at battery usage, there's something called Media Server often using up to 60% of the battery(!)

Popped the SD card out in case a corrupt file on there was causing the issue, but still getting Media Server draining the device quickly.

Booted into recovery mode to wipe the cache partition, and as it goes into recover mode, I get an android screen with circular arrows saying applying update, followed by a yellow hazard triangle above a fallen android, then I get to the recovery menu and can wipe the partition. Not sure if this is normal and/or connected.

Problem still persists. Any thoughts?

I was getting this, so to go all-in, I copied my entire SD card to PC using a card reader, formatted the SD card (using the phone, and not Windows) then copy everything back on.
Touch wood, all has been ok since (over a week now)

Note: reformatting your external sd card will re-generate its folder name, so if you have set any ringtones etc. to files on the external sd card, they will need re-assigning. You may also need to point some apps back to the root of the external sd card if they have been set for this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones