1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Media Storage App needs Network?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by The_Horak, May 14, 2011.

1. The_Horak

The_Horak Well-Known Member
    None

May 14, 2011
    Okay, so I downloaded the app, TrafficInfo, and am having it keep track of the apps that use network data. Under the 'System' tab in the app (it has a tab for downloaded apps and one for system/preinstalled apps), Media Storage has received 20+ MB of data and sent 7+ MB as well. The app is technically labeled in TrafficInfo:
    Media Storage
    DRM Protected Content
    Storage
    Content Manager
    When I click on the app in TrafficInfo, it sends me to 'Manage Applications,' looking at the System app, 'Media Storage App,' where I have the options to Force Stop or Clear Data. What is this App? does it get data while I'm listening to music? If so, WHY? Why does it need Network Access? Any info would be really helpful.

Advertisement

2. The_Horak

None

May 14, 2011
  3. The_Horak

None

May 14, 2011
    Okay, I forgot. I think it is true that other apps use this app to do actions that they offer. Example: I think Amazon MP3 uses it to download songs to your phone. Is this true? Does it at least seem sensible?

4. supremebeing7

supremebeing7 Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm having this same issue on my Captivate. It shoes 53 mb of data usage on Media Storage, but Googled like crazy and can't find any answers. Anybody know why this media storage app uses network data?

5. babs1921

babs1921 Member
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm having the same problem..cannot seem top find an answer either...please help

6. Diabo

Diabo Member
    None

"Media" is a multi-purpose app which stores an index of all your media files, keeps your ringtone settings, and it's a general download manager too.

Everything you download from the Android Market appears to come from "Media." It shows as "Media" when you hit *#*#4636#*#* (Battery history/Network usage), and as "Gallery" when you go to Settings/Data manager/Data meter/Show usage by activity.