1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Media Sync - No longer works with Rhapsody

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rossholly, Feb 18, 2011.

1. rossholly

rossholly Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Project Manager
    Northern CA
    After the OTA "upgrade" (grumble) to DL09, the media sync abilities of the Fascinate have vanished. I reloaded the drivers and the mass storage aspect is no problem. As problemental as DL09 was I jumped ship and rooted the phone when EB01 was leaked. The new interface for USB switching is a huge improvement over the previous ROMs, however Media Sync remains elusive. Mass storage is no problem and is 100% operational. For my iMac, I use Webkey for file transfers.
    I am using Rhapsody's music to go service and had with DL05 seamless integration. I would select Media Sync, connect the phone, Rhapsody would recognize it and update the DRM licenses. I then could paly anything d/'d from Rhapsody through the music player without having to chew away at data usage. Now the DRM licenses have expired and I am using the Rhapsody app for the service. I replicated favorite groups by creating more playlists, but having to rely on a live data feed for music playing is not right.
    Rhapsody says this is a VZW issue & Samsung ignores my requests. VZW offered to send me a new phone with the DL05 ROM to compensate for loss of service, which is very surprising. They also offered to bump up my New every two date so I could get a different phone. There is nothing wrong with the unit other than this glitch. The CSR says she never heard of this issue before (we were on the line for over an hour) but I believe they are in a bubble over there in VZW land.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. wetmonk

wetmonk Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    I also have the same problem. THIS was the specific feature I bought the Fascinate for, and now they've completely removed it.

So I'm ready to root the phone to either go back to the previous firmware version, or (even better) update to Froyo. Does anyone know if this feature is fixed again at Froyo?

Btw - same update killed my 'mass storage' access too. Pretty disappointed.

3. wetmonk

wetmonk Lurker
    None

Feb 24, 2011
    After rereading the previous post, I now realize that EB01 IS actually Froyo. So now I guess I know that the mass storage issue is fixed there, but not the media sync issue. That to me is total crap. I don't have an unlimited data plan to stay connected to play rhapsody streaming via their app, which is total garbage by the way. So I guess the only thing to do now is to rip the streaming songs to MP3s in order to play on my phone, or download from other sources.

I tried so hard to be good, but now Verizon is forcing my hand and making me root the phone AND bypass DRM!

4. rossholly

rossholly Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Project Manager
    Northern CA
    I spent another hour with Verizon Support today and we now have this sussed. The answer is not what you would expect, so read carefully!

The DRM subscription track updating is now handled through the Rhapsody Droid application. The current version is 2.0.4.91

In order to play your Rhapsody to Go tracks on your phone without using the "over the air" track transfer you need to do the following. Keep in mind you will be still transferring tracks wirelessly - so do this via wi-fi if you do not have an unlimited data transfer account with Verizon.

1). Connect your phone to the Rhapsody Application on your PC via USB. Select "Mass Storage" as the transfer mode. A Removable Disk followed by a Drive Letter will appear in the Sources Window. The tracks will be listed in the tracks directory after the app scans your phone.

2). Create a new playlist.

3). Transfer tracks from your library that you would like on the phone to this new playlist. If you already have playlists set up, you are halfway there.

4). On your phone, open the Rhapsody Android App. Go to My Playlists.

5). Select the playlist you wish to transfer to your phone. In the center column at the top of the list is a "Download" arrow. Press this and downloading tothe phone will commence. Wi-Fi is best for this as it guarantees speedy download!

6). The color of the track label changes from black to brown. This indicates it is now residing on your phone and can be played anytime, including "Airplane Mode".

7). *IMPORTANT* This can only be done using the Rhapsody Android app. If this track is in your music player, it will not function. you can delete the track from your music player files to save SD Card space. These tracks will be stored in a different directory in the Rhapsody folder (rhapsody\files).

That's it. Enjoy!