1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Media Won't Play Unless Downloaded Directly to Phone.

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by mensaf, Apr 24, 2012.

1. mensaf

mensaf Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Good day everyone. I've been lurking this site since I've gotten my problem ridden Motorola Triumph (yes that $25/mo plan baited me) and have turned it into a pretty decent phone thanks to the info I found here. Now that I have some free time, I want to tackle the one issue I've never been able to solve.

If I load a file onto the phone's SD card, be it an audio, video, or pdf file, it won't open. The reason given is that the phone can never seem to play "this type of media." Recently it's gotten more annoying since I've decided to up my cardio at the gym, and I find myself carrying my iPod Classic in addition to my phone, and have to settle for the tiny screen on that thing.

Thing is, I can get media files to open if I download them from a link directly onto the phone. This includes e-mail attachments. Not exactly for a number of reasons. I can manage with the pdfs, but not with movies and music. DoubleTwist worked once, and then started giving me the same errors after a few runs.

I've searched, and the closest thing I've been able to find to this issue was that media wouldn't play (period) unless the battery was taken out. I was hopeful, but about as lucky as I thought I'd be.

Worth noting that some of the old videos I shot with the Triumph's own camera were rendered unplayable as well, but new ones are fine.

Phone is rooted, but I unrooted it to see if the issue would go away before posting. (It didn't.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Advertisement

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Try downloading "MyPhoneExplorer" and transfer your files with that app. I have transfered (wirelessly) many documents, MP3s, and files to my phone via this app and have never had a problem.

You do need to install a windows program, too, so the phone can talk to the computer.

mensaf likes this.
  3. mensaf

mensaf Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Thanks. I'm going to try this out and report back. It's such a weird issue. I even tried moving the same e-mail attachment onto the phone that I successfully downloaded and opened from the phone itself and it didn't work.

4. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    homemaker, looking for a job
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm wondering about possible problems with the card itself. Have you tried a different SD card in the phone?

mensaf likes this.
  5. mensaf

mensaf Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    I just came to report back that the first suggested method didn't work and saw your post. Popped in the original 2gb SD card and viola. I can't believe this crap. I bought a no name 32gb SD card off of ebay when I got the phone, and it's done well thusfar for the apps, but I guess something is wrong when you load media. A million thanks to you my e-friend.

6. Seanette

Seanette Android Expert
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Female
    homemaker, looking for a job
    Sacramento, CA
    Very glad you found the problem. I'd suggest a reliable source for the larger card :). My husband got one at WalMart that's fine, mine from Best Buy is good, Fry's is also dependable, and you can probably find others.