1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Member of "All Things Newbie" Hi!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JJames56, Jan 5, 2012.

1. JJames56

JJames56 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Female
    Homemaker
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hi guys! I'm a brand new Android user. I've been lucky just to understand a simple messaging phone, so I'm taking a big step! :eek: I'm a 56 year old homemaker and just found you last night when I was trying to figure out why my phones battery was loosing charge so fast. That led me to google search which led me here!

I found a thread that spoke about JuiceDefender and after reading, decided to download it. I DID have Easy Battery Saver on it, but it didn't seem to be helping. Most likely, I simply didn't "set it up" so it wasn't actually able to do it's job.

I got my Motorola Triumph with Virgin Mobile and love it, expect for the battery usage - which, from what I'm gathering in my research, is par for the course. :cool:

Can anyone give me any information on which might be the best battery saver? Is the free version good enough or would it be worth it to purchase the app?

Glad I ran into this site! From what I've seen, I'll be able to learn a LOT here!!!! :D

Janea

Advertisement

2. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Welcome to the AndroidForums, Janea.

There are lots of strategies for saving battery from turning down the brightness on your display, reducing the syncing interface, and using wi-fi when possible and available. Some folks also use apps like you mentioned to help manage things (I personally don't).

You should take a gander at the Moto Triumph forums and see what the folks there are saying about your particular device:

Motorola Triumph - Android Forums

and specifically, this thread:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-triumph/461571-guide-triumphant-battery-tips.html

You should find some good information in there, and if not, just post a new post or thread :).

Glad you signed-up with us here at AF.

Cheers!

JJames56 likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums! :)

One more little tidbit ....

Modern Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory and do not need to be conditioned, but Android needs to be taught exactly what a full charge represents so that it can manage power appropriately.

One of the things I recommend all new phone owners to do is to perform a deep power cycle.

Let your phone discharge completely, keep it on until you are warned about low battery and then just let it run out. Most phone will shut down automatically around 5%.

Plug the phone into the original a/c charger, not the usb cable. Let it charge to full uninterrupted.

When the phone says full, unplug the phone from the charge and reboot. Once the phone is completely restarted, plug it back into the charger and shut the phone off. Even if it says fully charged, let it charge for at least one more hour.

Unplug the charger and reboot the phone one more time. Now you should start seeing (possibly significantly) longer charge times.

Without a deep power cycle, it doesn't know the true capacity of the battery. Be advised that you should only need to do this once as regularly deep cycling the battery can harm it. Li-Ion batteries perform better and last longer with incremental charges.

JJames56 likes this.
  4. JJames56

JJames56 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Female
    Homemaker
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thank you so much, both of you! Wow, lots of great information. I did what I thought was a deep cycle, but from what you have said here, it really wasn't, so I'll do it per your instructions.

And thanks for the links! I'm trying to learn all I can for this phone so everything helps!

I appreciate your help!