• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MEMO & MESSAGES LOST

magiem

Lurker
Jan 29, 2022
A repair shop had to factory reset the phone. Said there was software problem ( was not turning on waiting on Samsung logo) and reinstalled.
I had my files backed up on google drive.
He returned my phone but forgot to insert SIM card. Since I needed to use whatsapp , I installed it and all data including the camera photos are backedup on the phone.
HOWEVER, no call log / memo / and messages .
Last time,they resetted my phone there was backup of messages & call log . Currently no.
I read now that Drive does not back up MEMO which is very important for me to back up.I do not have Samsung backup.
I would very much appreciate if you can suggest me ;
- a solution to back up at least MEMO. I checked the internal storage . It is around 4,6 MB which makes me think that maybe it is not erased.Settings / Storage I selected MEMO
Total 4.37 mb
Application:0.00 b
Data:4.37 MB
Would appreciate your opinion on it.
- do you think that maybe restoring the phone without SIM installed caused this problem. Today, I inserted Sim and still there is no call log, messages and memo.
- as last resort, do you know a website where I can pay to restore my Memo & Messages. I found one ,installed on my PC and asks me to root it which I really do not have much knowlege on.

Rooting will erase the phone anyway, so that won't work even if it is possible for your device.

Am I reading correct that for the memo application itself there are no b of memory, but there is 4.37MB of data?

My guess is that your data is there, but the app itself is absent.

If you can find the exact app and reinstall it, it very well may read that data.

Unless of course I am reading what you posted wrong.

In addition, a factory reset would delete everything you had on the device.

I have no idea what may or may not have been saved in whatever backup you may/may not have used.

As long as no apps were installed on the SIM card (a vad idea anyway), it would have no affect on the reset.

If apps were on the card, then only part of the apps are on the card, and the parts that were on the phone are now gone.
(Part of why apps on SD cards are a bad idea.)

Upvote 0
A repair shop had to factory reset the phone. Said there was software problem ( was not turning on waiting on Samsung logo) and reinstalled.
I had my files backed up on google drive.
He returned my phone but forgot to insert SIM card. Since I needed to use whatsapp , I installed it and all data including the camera photos are backedup on the phone.
HOWEVER, no call log / memo / and messages .
Last time,they resetted my phone there was backup of messages & call log . Currently no.
I read now that Drive does not back up MEMO which is very important for me to back up.I do not have Samsung backup.
I would very much appreciate if you can suggest me ;
- a solution to back up at least MEMO. I checked the internal storage . It is around 4,6 MB which makes me think that maybe it is not erased.Settings / Storage I selected MEMO
Total 4.37 mb
Application:0.00 b
Data:4.37 MB
Would appreciate your opinion on it.
- do you think that maybe restoring the phone without SIM installed caused this problem. Today, I inserted Sim and still there is no call log, messages and memo.
- as last resort, do you know a website where I can pay to restore my Memo & Messages. I found one ,installed on my PC and asks me to root it which I really do not have much knowlege on.

What exactly is this "MEMO"? Are you referring to Samsung Notes, or some other third-party note taking app? Because if it's Sansung Notes, that backups to your Samsung account, and should be fully restoreable to your Samsung phone.

FWIW for my notes I use OneNote, which I've found is accessible anywhere, and isn't dependant on one device.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thank you all.
I'll try to reply at once to all of you;
- I don't do Samsung back up.Only google drive.
- He told me that there is a software problem with my phone and he reinstalled it.That's basically a factory reset I believe.
- What is "memo"?I post it
https://ibb.co/4mPqm3P
- On Phone storage, MEMO shows 4.37 MB and therefore I believe it is somewhere on the phone.I also lost "call log" and "Messages" which is strange because anketler time they were restored.
-I have another phone also.Iphone.but I ise this ohone for e-mail & notes & some content in it.I prefer android .

Thank you all.I really need to get my Memo and if possibile also my messages

Upvote 0
You mean this? I have a Samsung phones myself, and they don't have any app called "Memo" on them. So it looks like it's a third-party app you've installed yourself, like your Facebook and Ant Radio apps.

How Memo is backed up? I have no idea as I don't know this app. Might be worth you contacting the Memo devs and enquiring about it? Like does it use Google Drive?

memo.jpg

Your Galaxy J5 should have Samsung Notes it, which is Samsung's own own memo and note taking app. And that is backed up to the accociated Samsung account. Although myself, use OneNote for this type of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
I checked the version on my mobile by clicking on storage/memo and I (information icon).It is 16.00.0-379
Than I went on the link https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?appcategory=samsung-memo
On page 1&2 I cannot find the version.If I did and found out the application size,it would enable me to understand if there are notes stored on it.It varies from 2 mb to 10mb.I had only notes but important ones which would cover few kbs

Upvote 0
1)I checked last version which is below. The application itself is around 5 MB
Version:16.0.00-340

Uploaded:September 7, 2016 at 6:09PM GMT

File size:5.61 MB

Downloads:5,735

2) I also checked another one.
Version:16.0.00-360

Uploaded:January 11, 2017 at 8:31AM GMT

File size:4.98 MB

Downloads:707

THE APPLICATION SIZE AT THE MOMENT GIVE ME A SCARE BECAUSE MY VERSION 16.0.00-379 is 4.37 MB which means maybe there is no data stored on it but it says as I pasted the picture before;
TOTAL: 4.37
APPLİCATION:0
DATA:4.37

Since it is a built-in application, it does not enable me to erase it in order to reinstall the versions above.It just allows me to force stop.So confused I am

Upvote 0
I believe that something really went wrong when the repair shop REINSTALLED software.
Why??
I just realized that the phone restored a very old backup ( maybe of a year /two years ago).
- Whatsapp is fully restored so is pictures BUT since I have not installed yet a couple of photo editing applications I could not check yet.
- Nothing on messages
- Nothing on memo.
- Whatsapp fully backed up.
- Contacts missing the new people of the last few years.

What do you think the problem may be? My phone was last backedup on the 28th of January around morning time. Same day in the afternoon , I brought it to the repair shop.
I checked on google drive the last backup date. It shows 28th of January and 29th of January ( which is useless because it is the day I tried to restore everything).
I hope the drive will not erase the last back up of 28th of January . Is there a way to keep it somewhere else / move or download incase google drive automatically erases it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones