• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory card change

SimonM123

Sep 23, 2010
Hi all

I'm putting in an 8gb memory card (from my old phone) to replace the 4gb included one tonight. What items do I need to make sure are backed up or moved to phone memory first? What I've got so far:

- Apps installed to SD card (moved to phone or uninstalled)
- Photos, music and downloads
- App caches (Spotify offline files)

What else is worth checking?

If it's a big nuisance I may buy a bigger card and avoid having to change ever again, but would be good to recycle my old 8gb.

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. how should I format the old card (file system?) and will Android rebuild the folder structure etc when the card is inserted for the first time?

Take it you are not rooted?

If not then I would personally format the new card on your PC, make a folder on your desktop, drag everything over from the old card into the folder. Insert the new card and drag everything over to the new card and put it in the phone. Make sure everything works and then format the old card on your PC

Simples

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones