1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Memory card..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Milo Willamson, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Do I really need one, since I always dumped most of my photos on my desktop, sometimes I string
    on cloud... hmmm, just wondering if I need that memory space.

2. cjreyes666

cjreyes666 Well-Known Member

It is up to you and your needs. Personally I have as much storage as possible just to be future proof.

Milo Willamson and PitCarver like this.
  3. pingpongs

pingpongs Lurker

No need for memory card... My suggestion is that a 64gb internal memory phone is enough for normal no need for an extra memory card.

4. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I added one, to my new phone. Made do with 32gb, total, in my old one.
    I figured that with 64gb in the phone that has 20gb already used by the system, I'm gonna add it.

5. pingpongs

pingpongs Lurker

Yes you need a memory card if you have installed a lot of apps. What I was saying is that If you a user who uses light apps like social media and basic apps you won't need an memory card.

6. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Wasn't contradicting you, pingpongs, I was just amazed at the vast increase in system requirements in Android 8 from Android 6. In actuality, I'm a minimalist, when it comes to apps, preferring browser versions over a downloaded app.
    I do store my music and epub files on my MSD card, along with all my photos.

7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Social media are light? CPU wise, sure, but they can cache a lot of data.

Anyway it's not a so simple. People who keep media on the device rather than relying on some corporate server and a network connection can easily use tens of GB or more. Someone who travels may store a lot of offline maps. If someone thinks they need more space I would take their word for it.

(My personal minimum at the moment is 64GB + SD or 128 GB without. And I am currently using more than 64GB, and have no large games and do not record videos).

#7 Hadron, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Since you are connecting to your desktop …
    What is your maximum?
    How much are you currently using?

For me … Windows 10 reports ...
    Internal … 29.4 of 47.1 available
    SD Card … 108 of 118 available

For what the SD card costs it is handy to have it available if it is needed.

… Thom

PitCarver likes this.
  9. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Using around 42% of my phone, for windows it is like default, way around the limits.
    I do not do much apps for microsoft either, I mostly use it from time to time as an arcade machine, but mostly use it as a camera.

10. dbzarea2000

dbzarea2000 Newbie

I have about 400 apps, 31 gigs out of 64. Plus I have a 32 gig memory card. Which is currently empty. I prefer to have apps on phone for speed. Get a memory card for video, Z2 does 4k video, eats memory fast but quality is awesome.

11. Another point ... I need to get the socket cleaned ... I cannot plug into my desktop currently.

With all that extra space on the SD card I will just make a copy of everything in internal storage to a folder on the SD card.

… Thom

12. dbzarea2000

dbzarea2000 Newbie

X-plore app in store. Makes it easy for PC to connect to phone over Wi-Fi. X-plore cane make a WiFi server your PC can connect to. Until you clean plug, I use tooth brush for cleaning. By a cheap one just for that.

Thom likes this.

Motorola Moto Z2 Force Forum

The Motorola Moto Z2 Force release date was August 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4/6GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 2730mAh battery.

August 2017
Release Date
Reviews