1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Memory confusion

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ramsbottom, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ramsbottom

ramsbottom Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Ok

I have my new S11 and I am confused about the memory. It has 12gb internal SD (Mass USB), and no external. I believe that the Samsung thinks that the internal memory is an internal SD card(Mass USB) and that when I fit an SD card it will be seen as an external SD card - right? So I have a 12GB + 32 GB SD phone

My confusion is with the 2GB internal memory as well. I have installed loads of apps and these seem to be going in to the 2GB internal and I dont get the option of installing them on the 16GB Internal SD(Mass USB). Even is I use the apps2sd app, which I thought I wouldn't have to use as this memory is internal.

So currently I have 12GB internal SD with nothing on it:(

I would like to have the apps installed on the internal SD storage (Mass USB), and music and videos on an external SD Card. Can this be done? help im confused

Bloody unbelievable phone though, makes my Iphone 3GS look carp

Advertisement

2. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    My post here http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/340373-memory-sd-card-phone.html#post2737590 tries to explain the confusing way the SGS2 names its memory and where it's mounted.

Android apps are very small and the SGS2 has plenty of space, especially if you have bought a micro SD card. Most apps install to the internal memory but store their data on what is confusingly called the SD card (not really the SD card, see above post) but you would have to have thousands of apps to fill the available space so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. ramsbottom

ramsbottom Newbie
    None

Apr 4, 2011
    Right so I wont have to attempt to move my apps to my SD (external) or Internal SD cards (Internal memory)

are you sure as my 2GB system memory as already looking rather full and there is only about 32mb on the internal 12GB storage!

On my Wildfire I could move the entire app to the external SD card to keep it away from the phones internal memory. which was tiny

No I admin defeat, I still dont understand:eek:

So forget about the 2GB internal phone memory and just install apps like crazy and don't concern myself with it or with having to move them. And then use an External SD card to store photos, films and music?

That must be why when I attempted to move some apps using apps2sd to my SD card - it said I didn't have enough space - that's because I don't have an external SD card :rolleyes:

I only have an Internal SD card which isnt really an SD card:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:p

4. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    How much space is there free? If you go to Settings->Storage you can see. On mine I have the following available/total space:

SD Card (really the SD card, not the contents of /sdcard)

19.73/29.88GB

USB storage (ie the contents of /sdcard)

10.18GB/11.50GB

Device memory

1.58GB available.

I have installed a reasonable number of apps and copied quite a bit of music onto my phone and I'm not making any real dent in the amount of free space.

Assuming you aren't going to want loads (ie more than 10GB) of music and videos, you may not even need an external SD card. You can put all of that in /sdcard (ie what is referred to above as USB storage).