• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory Free Whats Yours? Mine Sux

chugger93

Dec 1, 2009
I've had my Hero for about 3 weeks now and have about 20 apps installed. I have about 30MB free sometimes 25ish. My phone can get laggy sometimes...I'm guessing this is why.

I really do need or would like to have all my apps still. I heard rooting your phone you could use App2SD or whatever and move em to your SD Card. Would this help? Any other tips for speeding up your Hero?

Thanks in advance!

That wouldn't help, the mb you are talking about refers to RAM, that is temporary memory used by running apps. I run with around 30mb and don't tend to see lag with that. To increase this you can either run less apps, run less widgets or use taskiller.

So again, number of installed apps makes no difference to this, only number of apps actually running. Some people swear by killing apps they dont want using taskiller. I myself would recommend downloading Force Close Button and use this to close apps when you are finished using them.

Upvote 0
That wouldn't help, the mb you are talking about refers to RAM, that is temporary memory used by running apps. I run with around 30mb and don't tend to see lag with that. To increase this you can either run less apps, run less widgets or use taskiller.

So again, number of installed apps makes no difference to this, only number of apps actually running. Some people swear by killing apps they dont want using taskiller. I myself would recommend downloading Force Close Button and use this to close apps when you are finished using them.

Isn't there a problem with RAM getting too low (below 40ish?) causing an error with the phone getting SMS? or was that fixed in the recent firmware upgrade or whatever that release was?

Upvote 0
I've had my Hero for about 3 weeks now and have about 20 apps installed. I have about 30MB free sometimes 25ish. My phone can get laggy sometimes...I'm guessing this is why.

I really do need or would like to have all my apps still. I heard rooting your phone you could use App2SD or whatever and move em to your SD Card. Would this help? Any other tips for speeding up your Hero?

Thanks in advance!
Free memory on Android devices is not like free memory on WinMo, iPhone and so on. You will see less than you think is a good amount but it's still fine. An explanation of this can be found here: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12195-properly-close-app.html#post71111 with more information here: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12195-properly-close-app.html#post71707.

Upvote 0
I have apps2SD using Fresh Rom .07 as well as moving my dalvik-cache to my SD card. I show 148 meg free and have installed 38 apps in addition to what the phone came with. I don't see any diff as far as slow down or lag using apps2sd or moving the dalvik-cache. Moving the Dalvik-cache is what freed up about 25 extra meg of space.

Upvote 0
I have apps2SD using Fresh Rom .07 as well as moving my dalvik-cache to my SD card. I show 148 meg free and have installed 38 apps in addition to what the phone came with. I don't see any diff as far as slow down or lag using apps2sd or moving the dalvik-cache. Moving the Dalvik-cache is what freed up about 25 extra meg of space.

That's cheating... Hahaha...

Have you cleared some of the caches? Especially the browser... anyway... let us know what you find...

Regards

Upvote 0
ROM - Read Only Memory = Static and unchanging.
RAM - Random Access Memory = Dynamic

The numbers there are dynamic and change all the time, it is internal RAM memory available to programs and the like. I run around 60-70 MB but when I clear out my caches the available RAM increases by the amount I have cleared or deleted. This is the internal memory available to storage and apps ON the phone yes, but it certainly is NOT ROM.
:eek:

Thank you very much... (hehe)

Happy Trails!
:cool:

Upvote 0
ROM - Read Only Memory = Static and unchanging.
RAM - Random Access Memory = Dynamic

The numbers there are dynamic and change all the time, it is internal RAM memory available to programs and the like. I run around 60-70 MB but when I clear out my caches the available RAM increases by the amount I have cleared or deleted. This is the internal memory available to storage and apps ON the phone yes, but it certainly is NOT ROM.
:eek:

Thank you very much... (hehe)

Happy Trails!

I will not flame war with you over this but I suggest you read this thread:
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/13022-ram-rom-what.html

It explains that although the traditional usage of the word ROM has become skewed, the portion of the phone where the apps are stored are known as rom.

RAM is not just defined by being static or dynamic.. RAM will not survive a power cycle. I would hope you are not re-installing your programs everytime you reboot.

Even happier trails... :D

Upvote 0
Well, I don't need that link you sent, but good try. No need for a flame for sure, but it has errors that posting.

For one, the RAM does not necessarily mean VOLATILE ram which it is NOT always the case. The ROM noted there too contains much more than just the BIOS, it contains the OS and GUI or SENSE. That is as it is designed, READ ONLY and for a reason. RAM is not only the physical type of memory but it's function, or ACCESSIBLE memory, random reads, writes, etc. NVRAM has been mainstream about at least 5 years now and my time frame may be off a little, but certainly not my understanding of memory and or its function. Or are we to talk about how your MicroSD card is a ROM chip because it stores memory outside the power cycle?

hahaha, no flame, just enjoying the conversation. I been around a long time, let's just say since 2MB Ram was THE hottest thing on a PC. Or was it? I don't remember if it was the 2MB Ram or the 20MB H.D.D., lmao...

;)

Enjoy...

:)

Upvote 0
Well, I don't need that link you sent, but good try. No need for a flame for sure, but it has errors that posting.

For one, the RAM does not necessarily mean VOLATILE ram which it is NOT always the case. The ROM noted there too contains much more than just the BIOS, it contains the OS and GUI or SENSE. That is as it is designed, READ ONLY and for a reason. RAM is not only the physical type of memory but it's function, or ACCESSIBLE memory, random reads, writes, etc. NVRAM has been mainstream about at least 5 years now and my time frame may be off a little, but certainly not my understanding of memory and or its function. Or are we to talk about how your MicroSD card is a ROM chip because it stores memory outside the power cycle?
While you are technically correct about RAM not meaning volatile you are wrong in this context. There is no RAM in your phone that is not volatile. So as far as the sticky that was linked it is accurate in the context of the Sprint Hero phone. It contains nothing but volatile RAM and the explanation is accurate. And you are wrong are the ROM issue. In fact your SD card, flash memory is a type of ROM just like the internal storage for your phone is ROM. It may not be the type of ROM you are used to but it is, in fact, ROM:

wikipedia said:
Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Flash memory is a non-volatile computer storage that can be electrically erased and reprogrammed. It is a technology that is primarily used in memory cards and USB flash drives for general storage and transfer of data between computers and other digital products. It is a specific type of EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) that is erased and programmed in large blocks...

hahaha, no flame, just enjoying the conversation. I been around a long time, let's just say since 2MB Ram was THE hottest thing on a PC. Or was it? I don't remember if it was the 2MB Ram or the 20MB H.D.D., lmao...

;)

Enjoy...

I have been around a while as well. I remember when a PC was the hottest thing on the market and 20MB was a dream on the horizon. Now lets not hijack this thread too much. :cool:

Upvote 0
I would love to agree but my OS/Sense is not read only. So is it now RAM by your definition?

The RAM on our phones is more like a page file on a hard drive, is that what you're trying to say?

Weird that when I download the systray monitor app it gives me a completely different number for "free ram" .

Upvote 0
hahaha, you say potAYtoe, I say potaaatoe...

so the OS is not ROM??? Why then do you need to root the phone to change anything? Remove the Sprint Bloatware? hahaha but anyway, not so important to argue about. There are flash ROM's of course which is there. This memory and the scheme used in these devices is a DYMANIC memory configuration which allows changes to some of it. BUT the ROM is just that! It is intended NOT to be changed by you inadvertently.

Memory apps not just on phones are notorious for delivering inaccurate readings. Both may be wrong, lol, but as long as it gives you an idea or ballpark number then we are happy right? I don't think it's a problem unless it gets real low, like the MMS issues posted here somewhere.

Anyway, it's all good :)
hehehe, have a good evening!

Upvote 0
hahaha, you say potAYtoe, I say potaaatoe...

so the OS is not ROM??? Why then do you need to root the phone to change anything? Remove the Sprint Bloatware? hahaha but anyway, not so important to argue about. There are flash ROM's of course which is there. This memory and the scheme used in these devices is a DYMANIC memory configuration which allows changes to some of it. BUT the ROM is just that! It is intended NOT to be changed by you inadvertently.

Memory apps not just on phones are notorious for delivering inaccurate readings. Both may be wrong, lol, but as long as it gives you an idea or ballpark number then we are happy right? I don't think it's a problem unless it gets real low, like the MMS issues posted here somewhere.

Anyway, it's all good :)
hehehe, have a good evening!

I can't let this die and feel like i'm wrong. Sorry I was born in May and am a Taurus... character flaw I guess.

ram1.png
ram2.png

The internal phone storage number is not RAM and the Systray app is actually correct :eek:

I'm not a geek, I promise... oh what the hell am I talking about. I'm full blown! haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones