1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Memory Management

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by jcarsw04, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jcarsw04

jcarsw04 Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    I got the "Low on space" notification on my phone. However, on my Internal SD card I have 8.90GB / 13.03 GB free. I don't understand why the storage is divided into Program, Personal data, Internal SD card, and External SD card. For example on my computer, the C drive is just the C drive and I can use the storage however I like. Is there anyway I can adjust these partitions on Android? I think it's complaining that I'm low on space because program storage is at 1.70 GB / 1.87 GB but I have plenty of room left on my internal SD card. How can partition more memory for programs? Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    I have no idea what type of phone you have (it's recommended that you fill in that portion of your profile, so you don't have to remember to include it in your post). That being said, you may want to check out the root section for whatever phone you have. It may be a risky process to undertake (I wouldn't know in your case), but if you choose to assume that risk you may find a ROM that doesn't partition free space in the way you currently see it on your device.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The division is made for a particular reason: for storage mounting to computers. If you access your phone's storage via a PC in mass storage or PC mode, the phone cannot access that storage during that time. Which means, if Program, Personal data and Internal SD card was one drive, your phone cannot be mounted to a PC via mass storage mode, and you would have no choice but to use an MTP program mode to access its contents. In other words, you'd need something like Itunes, or have your PC support MTP to be able to access the phone's storage system. Not to mention that this is SLLLLOOOOWWWW compared to using mass storage mode.

The phone needs the separate drives for that. One thing you can do is just transfer the app data to the internal SD card. Just get APPS TO SD from the Market. It will tell you which apps are safe to move to the internal SD card, because apps that use Widgets will have troubles with widgets if they were saved in the card. Also, when installing games, choose SD card and not phone when they download their additional data.

4. jcarsw04

jcarsw04 Member
    None

Jan 25, 2011
    thanks for the suggestion. I tried downloading that apps to SD. it seems that there are a bunch of apps I could move to an external SD card (which I don't have) but there aren't any apps that I can move to the internal SD card. I guess without being able to put additional apps on my internal SD card, I would have to buy an external SD card. I have a Samsung captivate by the way. it stinks because I still have 4.13 GB left on the internal SD card.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Using Apps 2 SD would move the stuff to the internal SD card. Its sort of an issue with how Android folder structure. Most apps think that the internal SD card is an external SD card. They fixed this with ICS. But if you are still on Gingerbread, just use the "move to SD" function on the app.

6. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I think that the "Low on Space" notice means low on RAM, not low on SD ROM. You can try moving as many apps (preferably not performance critical apps) to the SD card to free up space. You may also want to go into your browser and clear the cache. That always seems to fix my "low on space" message.

7. seanjoe

seanjoe Member
    None

Dec 23, 2011