• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help memory management

janathan

Jul 24, 2011
Hello, just got the S2.

I installed GPS maps. I have a 16 GB micro SD installed. But the app is installing the maps (4.8GB) in the phone's internal 16GB memory. Is there is a way to move apps data to micro SD without rooting ?

(i am a big fan of rooting, rooted my two previous phones but since this one is v new don't want to void warranty right away).

Offhand not sure why you would want to. The S2 internal is just shy of 12GB and that holds a ton of apps.

I have found that the SD card is best used for media dumps; the PC loads MP3s, movies and such much quicker than on a USB tether cable. Pop your SD out, transfer files, pop back in.

The internal memory is much snapier and is better with frequently used apps.

Upvote 0
When downloading the maps, the phone should automate ask you where you would like to move the files or apps. Just choose move to SD card. If you still have trouble go to your setting, choose application then click on the SD card tab and more it that way. I hope this helps.

Also how the heck did you get the 16gig sd card to work for you? I must have gotten a defective one because mine will only accept 8 gig and below :(

Upvote 0
When downloading the maps, the phone should automate ask you where you would like to move the files or apps. Just choose move to SD card. If you still have trouble go to your setting, choose application then click on the SD card tab and more it that way. I hope this helps.

Also how the heck did you get the 16gig sd card to work for you? I must have gotten a defective one because mine will only accept 8 gig and below :(

mine took my 16gig class 10 card fine. have you tried erasing it and formatting it again?

Codegerm

Upvote 0
well when i move app to SD card from settings, it is moved to USB storage (internal 16GB) not the actual micro SD card. the problem i am having is, most of the good gameloft games are anywhere from 300mb to more than 1 GB. the internal memory is going to fill up very quick. I need to find a way to actually move game data to microSD card ..........
my 16GB class 10 card worked fine without problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones