• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Memory...NOT about apps ;)

jdb

Nov 7, 2009
After doing a bit or research, I am more confused then before. A couple (few) questions:

Internal memory (ROM, not RAM): how much? 256 or 512? I've read both, some say 256 for apps, what is the rest for (if it is 512)?

In Settings, my phone says I have 216MB avail space...is this 216 out of 256 or 512? (I assume this is my ROM, as my RAM seems to be specified in applications of settings menu)...i.e. have I used up 40MB or 296MB already?

And now for the stupid question: Where does my pics and vids save to, phone or card? I read on here that you can long press a photo to save to SD...making me believe that they are stored on the phone, but I can't do that and now I have reason to believe thay are already stored on the card...I don't remember seeing a folder last time I mounted to my PC.

After doing a bit or research, I am more confused then before. A couple (few) questions:

Internal memory (ROM, not RAM): how much? 256 or 512? I've read both, some say 256 for apps, what is the rest for (if it is 512)?

In Settings, my phone says I have 216MB avail space...is this 216 out of 256 or 512? (I assume this is my ROM, as my RAM seems to be specified in applications of settings menu)...i.e. have I used up 40MB or 296MB already?

And now for the stupid question: Where does my pics and vids save to, phone or card? I read on here that you can long press a photo to save to SD...making me believe that they are stored on the phone, but I can't do that and now I have reason to believe thay are already stored on the card...I don't remember seeing a folder last time I mounted to my PC.

Pics and vids save by default to the SD card, that's why the Droid has to ship with one. Application data/images/backups, etc., also are saved to the card.

Pics/videos are saved under the DCIM folder on the card, IRRC. I haven't looked, so not sure if you can specify the save folder from within the camera app, or in any other settings screen.

The Droid has 256MB for apps, but again, just the "app" part of the app is stored on the Droid internal memory, the other stuff it uses is stored on the memory card.

Upvote 0
Thanks Redflea,
I realize that part of the apps can save to the card, but I'm still curious if my phone storage reading of 216MB (settings--->SD card & phone storage--->avail space) is 216 out of the 256 for apps, or out of the 512 TOTAL that I've read about. I guess what I'm trying to get to the root of, is if it is out of 512...and my apps are only taking up a few MB's (I've checked) and pics and vids are on the card, then where the heck is my phone storage going?
I have a sneaky feeling that the setting readout that state I have 216 is out of 256...that would just make sense, Some apps, email storage, some MMS, google and browser cache. Just wanting to make sure though.

Upvote 0
512mb ROM = Operating System. You can't touch this unless you root the phone.
256mb of memory - storage. Some phones come with a couple of apps and it takes part of that limited storage.

If you get a memory card the apps will not store themselves there, but their functions and saved items will save on the memory card.

For example, if you download a game, the game executable will use the 256mb, but store the saved games on the memory card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones