1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Memory question.. Backup to SD???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skep, Sep 3, 2011.

1. skep

skep Well-Known Member

So I understand this phone has a lot of internal space and all, but it seems to not allow you to use a memory card to full potential. And what I mean by this is, when I go to backup application data to card and load it into my new photon, it won't backup the data to the card, it keeps backing it up to the phone itself which is useless.
    Right now I'm trying to use astro to backup my apps from old photon to new warranty replacement photon and it isn't happening unfortunately. Im sure there is a way to change this but i have no idea how... can anyone help? Thanks in advance
    Skep

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Try going to Settings > Storage. At the bottom you'll see storage location, switch from from phone/internal to SD card. Not entirely sure if this will fix your problem, but hope this helps

3. skep

skep Well-Known Member

Thats only for windows media sync, whatever that is, i tried it but thank you

4. edlex

edlex Android Expert

It seems that at this time the sd card is simply for pictures and videos both taken by the camera or uploaded by you on your pc.

5. If you can backup the app data to the phone's internal memory, then you should be able to copy it from the internal memory to the SD card using the built-in Files app. This app shows both internal memory as well SD memory, and allows you to transfer/copy/paste between the two.

I'm assuming Astro is only letting you access one on these two.

6. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

I can confirm 100% that you can copy all the info on the internal SD (e.g. internal storage) and paste into to the External SD (for backup). Or you could even copy and paste it onto your PC or wherever you want to keep "backups" stored.

I find this to be extremely useful because I can separate the files I added (e.g. camera pics taken, wallpapers, ringtones, notifications, etc...) from the files that I moved to the "SD" on the internal storage. At first, I thought it was bad how they partitioned 3GB for apps and 8.92GB for whatever else, but then I realized that the apps that are downloaded, when moved to the SD card, really go to the 8.92GB of space (which is what I had wanted anyway). I actually think this makes for more stability as far as the apps are concerned.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews