• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Memory Question for a Laggy Photon

bonesTdog

Lurker
Sep 1, 2012
I have a Photon with 1G memory running Android 2.3.5 Kernel 2.6.32.9. I have been somewhat frustrated that applications typically take a second or two to start and clicks take a second to register with the device. It is not unusable, but definitely not snappy. In my experimentation in trying to speed it up I downloaded Moss which is like a Conky display for Android. According to Moss, my memory is typically 90+% full. I believe memory in Android is handled similar to Linux where many operations are "cue'd" in memory but not hampering usable memory, but 90+% seems awfully high. Is this normal? Can anyone shed any lignt on a "non-snappy" Android system? Maybe this response time is normal which would be disappointing.

I have played with applications killers, but they didn't seem to help and based on what I have learned exploring this site I have removed them to allow Android to work its magic.

Any advice?

Good call. Clearing cache and deleting old messages noticeably sped things up. Clearing cache program by program was an interesting exercise.

Question, I saw some apps that clear cache automatically. Are any of them worthwhile or am I better off doing it the old fashioned way.

Also, by deleting old messages I am assuming you are referring to old text messages right?

Upvote 0
Good call. Clearing cache and deleting old messages noticeably sped things up. Clearing cache program by program was an interesting exercise.

Question, I saw some apps that clear cache automatically. Are any of them worthwhile or am I better off doing it the old fashioned way.

Also, by deleting old messages I am assuming you are referring to old text messages right?

Most, if not all cache cleaning apps do a nice job. I myself use CACHE CLEANER by JRUMMY. You can program this app to clean cache on an automatic schedule or just manually clean all apps @ once.

I also highly recommend SD MAID PRO, for an even better system cleaning

Upvote 0
SD Maid Pro is for root?

It does its best when installed on rooted devices,as the developer states, but, I've found it will clean some things that are missed by typical cache cleaners, even on the STOCK, unrooted PHOTON. (especially cache from GOOGLE MAPS, GOOGLE MUSIC).

I originally used this app on my rooted HUAWEI ASCEND, running CM7, & SD MAID PRO did wonders cleaning up old folders/files, finding duplicate items,etc....., this app, IMHO,is a must in anyone's collection, especially for those that root & ROM.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones