• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Memory switched but still running out of room?

Koss53044

Lurker
Feb 16, 2015
First, bear with me...first time user of this forum, and first time post.

My wife surprised me with an Android Tablet for Christmas this year (a Zeki Quad Core 8GB), and other than the first week frustrations of learning how to use it (given I've been a Windows user all my life), I have grown to enjoy it. A few factory resets later after playing around with it and I am finding it very enjoyable...that is, until I experienced a problem all too familiar with other Android users...memory.

This tablet is infused with Google products. Some which I use, some which I don't. But none which I am really able to uninstall (but can disable). That's not really my problem here. It's the fact that out of the 8GB of memory, there's only about 1GB for apps. Since about 2/3 of that is occupied by Google apps and other functions, I can't load too much else on...and a few of the apps run slow or cause it to freeze.

Cut to the chase...I bought a 32GB micro SD card which I thought would help. But was surprised in that it didn't help the app space; still restricted to 1GB. (Several of you probably shouting "Surprise!" when you read that.) So the last week or so I was looking into how to rectify this. Last nigth I was finally successful in getting the memory switched around so that the table thought the internal memory was the 32GB card, and the SD card as the 8GB memory (which shows 3.91GB). Thought my problems were over...but alas not. I STILL SHOW 1GB FOR MY APPS!

(for the technical...it is rooted, and the vold.fstab file was modified to switch the location of sdcard0 and sdcard1)

So now what? This is what it shows when I view my apps:
-- about 1GB for internal storage in the Downloaded view, All view, and Disabled view
-- about 30GB for SD card storage in the On SD Card view (but all the apps still showing in the Downloaded view)
-- about 700MG for RAM storage in the Running view (not viewing the Show Cached Processes)

The thought that comes to mind is that, folders like /boot and /data are still sitting on the internal storage and would need to be moved over to the SD card to actually see more space. Or that there is another control file out there that needs to be modified. That's where my knowledge hits a brick wall (vs. bricking the tablet which has been avoided by careful steps I've taken to this point).

So that's where I am at. Still can use the tablet, but can't load a lot of other stuff on it yet.

One last note...as I type this and gathered information from my tablet, in the upper left corner it keeps flashing "Preparing SD Card" followed by "Removed SD Card" and repeats this. Just started doing that this morning...and yet the tablet is still working. ???

Thanks in advance for any help on figuring out what I might have wrong. (I'll probably go back to the original vold.fstab for now...)

Apps must install to /data/app, all app data not configured to store elsewhere by individual apps go to /data/data.

I'll assume that your familiar with the adb shell as you have a good grasp already, but if that's a problem, you can work using Terminal Emulator.

The df command will show you exactly what your allocations are, just say -

df

To see what's mounted where and how, say -

mount

If you're not familiar with filesystems in the user environment (FUSE) you may want to stop and read up on that.

It's typically how /data and internal storage may be overloaded to the same space - although what you're describing sounds like you may not be running into that.

Not sure, so be careful about that.

Whatever you do, please proceed with due caution and backups.

Sounds like you already are, just need to always put that out there.

Hope this helps! :)

Welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones