1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Memory Usage on SGS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by S.Bartfast, Apr 12, 2012.

1. S.Bartfast

S.Bartfast Lurker

Hello.
    I've searched about a fair bit trying to piece together exactly what is happening with my phones memory but it just isn't making sense :s

A couple of days ago I got a message saying "Internal phone storage is getting low" then shortly after that several of my applications stopped working properly complaining about a lack of memory. The low memory notification directs you to uninstall programs so I removed a few of the larger ones, and sent a couple to the SD card and the application list is now showing "1.7GB used" and "178MB free" but still the phone complains about not having enough memory. I have 2 apps over 20MB, 5 over 10MB and many less than 5MB, but no where near 1.7GB installed. How can I work out exactly what is using what?

In other news I have rooted the phone and am running a lag fix as well as having Titanium Backup installed, so I'm not surprised I'm having a problem, I just can't work out what it is or how to fix it. I'd prefer not to delete messages and photo's and things randomly as I like to keep 'heritage' data on my device for reference (it's surprising how often it is useful to look up the licence plate in a photo or check the date an old message was sent) but the phone is becoming unusable as it is - I can't even check email now. So if someone could explain how I can find out how the 1.7GB of data is being used and why 178MB free may be insufficient I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Edit:
    I probably should have said, when I mount the phone as an external drive on my PC the drive comes up as being 13.4GB, 3.34_used/10.0_free.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rofa

Rofa Newbie

Bit of an odd one in view of your edit. Was having similar problems with my standard set up, but the PC external drive storage agreed. In my case it was an unnecessary backup app that was the main culprit (pretty well everything can be backed up via Google) and a .trashes file. What that is and why it had so much junk in I don't know. Picked all this up with a file manager app - Astro I think.

3. S.Bartfast

S.Bartfast Lurker

Thanks for the reply Rofa.
    I do have Titanium Backup installed so there is a good chance that could be the culprit.

What I find perplexing is the "1.7GB used" and "178MB free" when the phone I have is meant to have 16GB of storage. After a fair bit of hunting I've seen people in other posts discuss things like "Phone Memory", "Internal a Memory" and "External Memory". From what I understand the phone is shipped with 16GB of memory but a proportion of this is section off as "Phone Memory". I had thought the "section off" part was about 2GB (leaving 14GB of "user" storage), so there for I figure my "1.7GB used" was measuring "Phone Memory". Any idea how one can look at exactly what is stored on "Phone Memory"?

I also tried looking for files with Astro and ended up deleting about 6GB of music I didn't much care for but the music was stored on "Internal Memory" so alas it did not help my 1.7GB problem :(.

So really what I'm wanting to understand is what is this mythical "Phone Memory" and is it possible for me to access it?

Samsung Galaxy S Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews