1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fatlatch, Oct 12, 2014.

1. fatlatch

fatlatch Lurker

Ex wife has bought daughter a supposedly new s5 off ebay but memory appears to be full and will not accept any new apps although none are loaded. Any ideas?

Says
    Total space 16gb
    Available -367547.00B
    Used 18.13 gb

Proper struggling, any help gratefully received

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jejb

jejb Well-Known Member

If it were my kid, I'd odin on the latest stock ROM from your carrier and start from scratch. Or do a full factory reset on it. And I'd add an external micro SD card to give her more room.

3. mrshog

mrshog Lurker

I have a very similar problem. Purchased from private seller on Craigslist; when I did reset - list was in Chinese. Discovered Model # is G900F, android version 4.4.2. Went ahead with factory reset but did not help storage issue. Added my bank app and now cannot download anything else (insufficient storage) Moved everything I could to 64gb sd card; same problem. Even went into app man and manually deleted all caches. No change. Downloaded a small cache cleaner and ran it; no change. Finally went in to "all" in app man and manually added up all memory used. Sure enough it is nearly 16GB without additional downloaded apps. There are a boatload of small android files (4KB and less) If I look at "downloaded" column in app man, the apps do not add up to the 14GB used as stated, leaving 572MB free. I wish I had kept my S3!!!! Although I have never felt the need before, I wonder if rooting is the answer. If it is, what mod would you recommend?

4. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Why not use Odin to do a complete re-install of the firmware? Phil

5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

for a Quick and Dirty effort to rid it of the crap,

install CleanMaster and then use its' function to help clear out memory space.

Finally use its' App Manager to delete everything that it says is possible to delete.

If this does not work, then I would do a Factory Reset immediately. The crapware on that phone is not worth trying to keep.

Anything good that you need can be downloaded thru the Play store

* Clean Master - Free Optimizer - Android Apps on Google Play

6. acraftylady

acraftylady Android Enthusiast

I would be leary of these working right given where they were purchased. If not right I would go back to the ebay seller and complain and also complain to the private seller. Also the latest version is 4.4.4 so you are not updated either, wonder if that matters? Mary

7. philayl

philayl Android Expert

Hi, you don't say who your carrier is or where you are located so it is very difficult to tell which firmware you should be running, if you enter your model no, and carrier on the SamMobile page it will give you the latest firmware. Phil

Firmwares | SamMobile

p.s. Click on the firmware box under the heading

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews