1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

MEncoder with DMO (DirectShow)?

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by Ravi Joshi, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Ravi Joshi

Ravi Joshi Lurker
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    I have a few wmv files and I am trying to create mp4 from those using MEncoder. Initially, I am trying to decode those into avi though. The quality of such output avi appears bad. I am using simple command line such as 'mencoder -i 01.wmv -ovc lavc -oac copy -o 01.avi'. MEncoder seems to use wm*.dll codes from 'windows-essential-20071007' (part of mencoder download).

The wmv file plays great in Windows Media Player 11. So, is it possible to have mencoder use newer and possibly better DirectX DMO to decode wmv?

Advertisement

2. hansschmucker

hansschmucker Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 22, 2011
    Have you tried removing the wm* codecs altogether? I've never had them installed since libAv is by now able to decode most WMVs itself, which if it worked would probably put an end to your quality problems. Just don't forget to explicitly set the framerate as libAv will always decode as 1000fps.

Ravi Joshi likes this.
  3. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Since this topic is in Android Media forum section, I assume the goal is also to play them on Android. If so, then encoding the videos twice (first to put them in avi then in mp4 container) seems a waste of time and media quality.

It seems much easier to try and see if those wmv files can be played directly on Android device using a universal player (for example Arcmedia). If they can't be played, then I'd convert them directly into mp4 container, using a suitable converter.