1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Menu button / Actionbar

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by zonk, Jan 10, 2014.

1. zonk

zonk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    I wrote an app the other day but was only testing on an old 2.1 phone which had a hardware Menu button. Today I put it on a 4.1 device without a hardware Menu button.

After looking about I found out about the Actionbar. I eventually followed the official Android tutorial on using the compat libraries (can't post a link yet!)(also decided not to use ActionbarSherlock), sooo, now my 2.1 device has a new title thing and a new menu, however on the 4.1 device nothing. I've followed various tutorials now and still i'm not seeing anything on the Actionbar.

Basically these modifications are the wrong way around, it was fine on 2.1 as it was, I really just needed to get some kind of menu button on the Actionbar on the 4.1 but still be compatible with 2.1, any solutions please?

EDIT:
    Just watching some youtube vids on the subject, and i'm realising that the Actionbar is another bar in addition to the big one across the bottom (on my device), what i'm actually after is to add a menu to the big system bar when my app is active, not have another bar taking up screen space...

Advertisement

2. zonk

zonk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Maybe not how i'm going to proceed but found my answer here:
    Say Goodbye to the Menu Button | Android Developers Blog

So, changed target to 13 instead of 19...

However this isn't in accordance with Android developer guidelines.