1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Menu Button Fires Randomly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Crevolous, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Crevolous

Crevolous Lurker
    None

Jun 20, 2012
    Dear Android Forums Members,

I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 from my local Sprint store and up until recently the phone has worked amazingly well. However, during the last week the phone has displayed a strange behavior that is quite annoying. When I am using the phone in any application that allows typing, the Menu button will randomly activate and the menu for the application I am in will appear. This also happens in other applications as I stated before including Facebook for Android, Messaging, e-mail, ect. I am not purposely pushing the Menu button and have become quite frustrated to the point of taking the phone back to the store to receive a new one. Also, when I hold the phone, I can feel it vibrate. I feel maybe the Gyro sensor or touch screen may be damaged.

I have looked up possible culprits for this problem on the Internet, but I've had no such luck so far. I have also tried re-calibrating the Gyro Sensor and resetting the phone back to its factory default settings with no success.

There is no physical damage to the phone and it doesn't have any other problems. I really think the Galaxy S2 is great and I would hate to resort to using another, less powerful phone.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this problem?

Advertisement

2. Netcat

Netcat Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    San Jose, California
    Is the phone rooted? If not and since you've already tried a factory reset with no luck, it may be a hardware problem with the screen called the "Phantom Press". Personally I've never had this problem but I just read about this here. Check out this web page. It says you can try uninstalling recently installed applications, but you will probably need to take the phone back for repair or replacement. Hope this helps.

Problem: Random "phantom" settings button presses - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

3. MartyMcFly85

MartyMcFly85 Member
    None

Nov 28, 2011
    St Petersburg, FL
    My girlfriends GS2 has the same issue, to the point where you cant even use the phone. We have found that turning off the screen helps, but does not fix the issue. I even went as far as opening the device and cleaning the connectors for the touch screen.... No luck. From what I have heard it is a hardware issue. A manufacture defect.

4. someguyatx

someguyatx Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Take it back to sprint for warranty repair or replacement.

5. t.burninator

t.burninator Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Male
    project pilot
    high altitude
  6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Jan 24, 2013
    Male
    Avionics Technician
    Centrally located far from everywhere, CA
    Likely this is related to the problem experienced on the Epic 4G Touch phones addressed here with Sprint.

If so, then it is a hardware issue, and a software hack will only mask the issue, not solve it.