• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Menu button light leak

bobakman

Sep 6, 2011
I know it's just a light leak from the LED under the button but it does stand out. sloppy tolerances/poor manufacturing. I left a support request in at Motorola asking them their opinion. How are yours? I may just take it back to Target for an exchange if it is possible.

Bob

Attachments

• Triumph Light Leak.jpg
    Triumph Light Leak.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 108
I have light leak in the exact same spot, doesn't bug me much. Was just going to deal with it, but the auto focus doesn't work on my camera so I may be exchanging it anyway.

I'm on the fence cuz everything else works and I don't take pictures much, but it's just the principle. Got mine at Best buy.

just a shot in the dark,ummmm do u have it set to auto?

Upvote 0
just a shot in the dark,ummmm do u have it set to auto?

I did initially, yeah. I do have it off now and pics do look fine, just thought that auto "should" work. So is that the official workaround? Again I don't care much about pics (or GPS for that matter) so I haven't really looked into it. Just want it to work on the rare occasions I do want to use it. However, if that's what most ppl are doing to fix it, then I'll be content.

P.S.
Apologies for getting off topic.

Upvote 0
Upon further investigation using an Eye magnifier and a Intel QX3 toy microscope. The root cause of the Menu button light leak on my phone is due to the black paint mask not being applied to 100% coverage it's thinned out and the missing paint can clearly be seen using the eye magnifier. The grainy photos really don't show it all that well. The phone is definitely a keeper otherwise, now that I know it's only a minor cosmetic issue.

Bob

Attachments

• Glass edge wide.jpg
    Glass edge wide.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Glass edge close.jpg
    Glass edge close.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 69
  • glass edge close2.jpg
    glass edge close2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones