• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Menu Button on Padfone 2?

To those who own a padfone - how do you access the menu?

There are plenty of apps that still use the menu button, some of which I use on a daily basis. Of course, we know this phone has no menu button, and only capacitive keys. So how does one go about pressing the menu button?

I know people were worried about this on the HTC Sense 4 devices, and the implementation turned out to be terrible. So how does Asus do it? I'm incredibly curious to find out.

Thanks in advance!

To those who own a padfone - how do you access the menu?

There are plenty of apps that still use the menu button, some of which I use on a daily basis. Of course, we know this phone has no menu button, and only capacitive keys. So how does one go about pressing the menu button?

I know people were worried about this on the HTC Sense 4 devices, and the implementation turned out to be terrible. So how does Asus do it? I'm incredibly curious to find out.

Thanks in advance!

from what I can tell most menu options are software based (the button menu is accessed usually through an icon with 3 dots)

Upvote 0
3 dot menu is disabled by Asus, we access it by tap-hold recent button thanks to Asus custom settings menu where we have option for that button mapping.

Hmm not on my Padfone 2 it isn't!! The overflow button appears in most if not all apps. The custom mapping options for recent button is tap and hold (screenshot which is default) or tap and hold recent for menu. From whst I've read the new Google standard is moving away from a hardware menu button.

Upvote 0
Then I don't know what to say, I have no 3 dot menu, just use tap-hold. Maybe reboot after setting mapping?

just to make sure we're not talking at cross purposes (because I'm still new to Android) - the overflow/3 dot menu button I'm referring to can be seen circled in red in the attached screenshots (in this example for FaceBook) - is this what you're referring to or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-12-10-04-07.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-12-10-04-07.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot_2012-12-12-10-03-58.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-12-10-03-58.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0
Yes thats the long 3 dot menu button that I never see on my Padfone 2.

hmm strange.. it's in most if not all of the apps I use?.. (although it does shift about a bit) usually either top right or in the bottom middle location.. maybe there's an option in the settings to have this hidden?..

I've got an HK version Padfone 2 still running ICS 4.0.4 (as the JB update hasn't been released for HK models yet) - if that makes a difference??..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones