• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Merge accounts needed (contacts)

Ianp5a

Lurker
Nov 10, 2018
I've somehow got several contacts accounts on my Samsung A3 phone. And I want to remove all phone/email accounts I'm not using, to prevent me accidentally adding to the wrong account.
I would like to first merge 2 accounts for example, to be sure that I don't lose any. Then I wish to remove the Google contacts accounts. As I use my own account via DAVdroid/Nextcloud
Is there any super app or PC program which could give me a true overview of my accounts, and allow me to merge or remove them? Thanks

There are 3 Google accounts as Google created one from my Picasa account. I also needed a Google apps account for my work android phone. But I don't use or want any of those accounts for contacts, as I have my own account on Nextcloud.

Google interfere too much with accounts and dumb down the android commands so I end up with a mess that I can't control what is on my phone. Hence my search for a way to clean it up. And reduce any dependency on Google.
If it let me move an individual contact to another account it would be a help. But the only way I see to do that is to export the contact to a file and import it to another account. A very clumsy and slow way to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
I use Contacts Optimizer once you get the hang of it, you can combine, move, edit, find duplicates and delete contacts from all your different accounts.

I'll have to check this one out.

Does it allow you to choose which phone numbers are kept? Sometimes I run across contacts and I have 2 phone numbers and cannot remember which one is the good one so I have to go back and delete the old one.

I don't want it to "choose" for me if you can understand what I'm saying.

Upvote 0
At some point it all sounds like you just need to sit down and edit things to the way you want. There is no app/service that can actually read your mind and then using artificial intelligence magically merge all the things you yourself want and don't want.
Since you do want things set up in such specific ways, yes there are apps that will weed out duplicate entries and such, but in the end it's still going to be you yourself that will need to make actual decisions. Import everything into one place/service, edit/correct/merge entries that need to be, and evaluate what you do and don't want to keep; or set up two or three categories of primary and secondary contact lists and arrange every contact entry accordingly. If you have several hundred or thousand entries, this will be a daunting project but the end result should be a lot more organized and useful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones