• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Merger killing 4g

Hi All,

Ive been reading about Metro PCS people losing signal and service in areas where t mobile has been upgrading the towers. I am currently in NYC and seem to be having some 4G issues. I have my phone set to stock VZ9 and PRL 3032. I just updated the PRL the other day. In my settings I am now unable to see a 4G Mac Address although I do still see the indicator lighting up as if I have 4G. Is there anything I can do to get better signal as far as firmware or root? Downgrade PRL? Or do I need to just cough up more money and go to t-mobile? So pissed at metro right now. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this isn't in the right area or is a duplicate post. I didn't want to chime in on a similar thread so I thought I would just start one.

some of us connect users have been experiencing some 4g problems. seams to be the merge between metro and t mobile is giving us the back side of the deal.

Yup. The Motion is 149, Premia is 149 also, don't see why they can't do that instead. Premia is a great phone for the money and been nothing but happy with its performance.

So start us a thread kiroshi!
i just need an equal or grater screen size i cant take 3.5

Upvote 0
Long story short I lost 4G data connectivity today.

I was on the number 2 rom when it happened. I was messing around trying to upgrade the camera so at first I thought it was something I had done, but going back to even VV5 stock I still don't get data. Yes I did the factory resets before and after the upgrade. The 4G icon comes on and looks like it's working like crazy but it never establishes an actual 4G MAC address. I still get a small trickle of data, like a facebook notification every now and then but I can't even get the play store to load.

I know kiroshi23 has also experienced the same thing today. I'm wondering if it's merger related and if so what are they going to do about my phone? I payed full price for it when I bought it then dropped the insurance deductible after I hard bricked it.

Something odd I am wondering if is related it when I got my replacement phone it had VV4 loaded on it and I'm pretty sure it said LG-MS840V on the version numbers. I performed LG's upgrade thinking it would bring me to VV5 but it brought me to ZVA and changed the model number to LG-MS840. I thought that was odd, but hey I can root without retrograding, yay. Kiroshi, you have a similar experience or is this just random sh?

Anyone else drop data today?

The icon pops up but I never get a MAC address. I went from #2 rom to VV5 and no changes, even after factory resets.

Do you have the LG-MS840V or the LG-MS840? I have the 840V but it's reading 840 in my about settings. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I thought I saw the V before I ran LG's support tool.

If you have run LG's support tool, what version did it load on yours? Mine took my phone fresh out of the box from VV4 to ZVA and says I have the latest with ZVA. This really confused me.

I'd like to know what metro says about this. My phone was expensive and I've dumped extra money into it.

Upvote 0
I lost 4G this morning. The icon pops up but I never get a MAC address. I went from #2 rom to VV5 and no changes, even after factory resets.

Do you have the LG-MS840V or the LG-MS840? I have the 840V but it's reading 840 in my about settings. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, I thought I saw the V before I ran LG's support tool.

If you have run LG's support tool, what version did it load on yours? Mine took my phone fresh out of the box from VV4 to ZVA and says I have the latest with ZVA. This really confused me.

I'd like to know what metro says about this. My phone was expensive and I've dumped extra money into it.

you can chat with a rep on there page. report on what they say if you do chat with then

Upvote 0
Well I called customer service. They read me there script and had me do the over the air program and manually program the numbers in. Big waste of time, I'm still not getting 4G. I'm going to take it into the corporate store tomorrow if it's still down and see what they can do but from my experience they aren't very technical. I'll probably end up with another connect, but maybe I can talk them into giving me a better phone.

Upvote 0
Well I called customer service. They read me there script and had me do the over the air program and manually program the numbers in. Big waste of time, I'm still not getting 4G. I'm going to take it into the corporate store tomorrow if it's still down and see what they can do but from my experience they aren't very technical. I'll probably end up with another connect, but maybe I can talk them into giving me a better phone.

yes man go get them. hope you get a spirit

Upvote 0
Me2

Yeap same down here in Miami...saysI'm connected to 4Gbut nothing uploadsor downloads...I had to switch of LTE and working on 3G right now only.[/QUOTE/]

Yea I had to do that also but lots of times it will only connect to EV or 1x. Data barely works for me anymore (I'm on zva stock). I am trying to sell this thing but I don't think I am going to be able to. When a buyer researches this phone they will more than likely see all the problems. Man this blows, $400 bucks for this phone and I only got 53 weeks of use of of it. Now I'm not even going to be able to sell the d@mn thing! I have tried all the firmwares multiple times and none work. I think vv5 still works but we need a root God to root it... Thanks mpcs

Upvote 0
Me2

Yeap same down here in Miami...saysI'm connected to 4Gbut nothing uploadsor downloads...I had to switch of LTE and working on 3G right now only.[/QUOTE/]

Yea I had to do that also but lots of times it will only connect to EV or 1x. Data barely works for me anymore (I'm on zva stock). I am trying to sell this thing but I don't think I am going to be able to. When a buyer researches this phone they will more than likely see all the problems. Man this blows, $400 bucks for this phone and I only got 53 weeks of use of of it. Now I'm not even going to be able to sell the d@mn thing! I have tried all the firmwares multiple times and none work. I think vv5 still works but we need a root God to root it... Thanks mpcs

Upvote 0
Its true, down here in South Florida a few of us with Connect don't have a 4G connection at all, and now today I don't even have 3G connection. I'm writing a lot of posts and messages on their facebook right now. And I'm also telling them I will not accept a trade in to a Motion. $350 > $150(when motion was priced at its highest)

Upvote 0
You can try downloading 4G toggle from the play store. It's free. I was able to get data back by turning off 4G. Now I get 3G but not sure how long it's going to last. I've tried all the different firmware, and I don't get 4G data. Same symptoms, the indicator lights up like it's working but I don't get a 4G MAC address. I called there tech support and they didn't have a clue. I'm going to wipe my phone back to stock and bring it back to a coperate store to see what they can do. No way will I trade in for a motion. They need to provide a comparable phone. I would settle for the S3 but nothing less. I paid full price for my phone and then some for a case and more for an insurance claim.

Upvote 0
I've been on 3G since yesterday, and that is spotty at best as well. Its ridiculous that I have to wipe my phone to complete stock and take it in because of this. But i've been blasting their facebook with messages, calling the tech support line will not do any good, I will not waste my time and drive to their store without some sort of resolution or solution before I go there. When it comes to any big company, the bigger stink in PUBLIC that you make the more quickly they will react. I've told them nicely on their facebook, I will not accept a $100 phone that even on their own site they still sell the connect for $350, that math does not add up. I told them I want a credit to purchase a GSM phone once its available here in Miami as that is the only fair resolution in my book since its THEIR fault and THEIR network upgrades that messed up a phone that I purchased. It is not my fault whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

I am going to try and go to a store today or tomorrow and see whats up. I am on stock ZVA. So lame. They should really offer us an s3 or at least trade in the connect towards something else. I will let you know what the results are. Has anyone harassed MetroPCS? I have seen alot of messages on their fb about bad service and or outages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones