1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [Merit] Script to change storage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fryguy2, Jan 12, 2013.

1. fryguy2

fryguy2 Member
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    I was looking at some android game devices yesterday. They were talking about this script, that changes the device storage path. I wonder if something like this could be ported to the phone? Would be nice to install apps to memory card, instead of taking up the phones internal memory. The does need to be rooted.

What the say is below:

http://www.willgoo.com/jxd-s5300-retro-console-capacitive-multigaming-rooted-4g-p-308.html

- Change system partitions, so that intermal memory will be /mnt/ext_sd and micro sd will be /mnt/sdcard, that is the opposite to how it is by default. The reason is because most android games with huge data look for /sdcard/ to storage data, so we are not limited to use the limitation of the small internal memory, and no need to use apps like Directory bind or Gl2SD for instance.

Advertisement

2. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Android Expert
    None

Mar 7, 2012
    Student, Clearfield Job Corps, Diesel program
    Pasco, WA
    Check out PhydeuxROM or AreaROM 2.2.3 on Android Area 51. Both are set up th use an sd_ext on the external card as /data, so your storage is only as big as your partition.

3. out of ideas

out of ideas Android Enthusiast
    None

May 19, 2012
    You don't need those roms. All you need is init.d support and you can add cronmod or amarullz init scripts to give you the partition size as your internal. I've had both working on my phone for a month but some third party apps don't like it. So i havent added it to my rom yet. maybe this week.

amarullz thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1310309

4. cwwilson721

cwwilson721 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 3, 2012
    My ROM/AreaRom has no init.d script. I don't believe in them. The "magic" happens LONG before the init.d script would kick in, too.

Combined with the v6 CWM, there is no limitation on the sd-ext size, either. Make it as big as you want (But, anything over 2GB is a real waste of time. I have over 250 apps installed, and use <500mb of /data)

5. stayboogy

stayboogy Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2012
    my init.d script to relocate /data/dalvik-cache to /dev makes quite a noticeable improvement in stock storage space as well as after many apps are installed.

if one wanted to get technical though they could edit the init.rc in the ramdisk of the boot.img and make the system store whatever, wherever. the only problem with this is that the linux-based system "prefers" certain setups over others to operate correctly. i've actually tried make such types of modifications and they work but are usually rife with bugs and errors.

just my $.02

Tags: