• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "message not downloaded" "generic network failure"

shepditch

Lurker
Apr 21, 2010
Some background:

New Incredible, setting up and downloading everything in sight on Thursday. Late last night (Friday) started having issues with mobile network and internet access while not on wi-fi. I have been using wifi predominantly so I think this issue was in the background but I didn't notice because I wasn't using 3g internet access. When I shut off wifi, I was getting access errors and, in my QuickSettings app, it said that there was no APN configured. The HTC settings app, under mobile network, simply said "turning on".

Searched around and discovered that this might be a problem with the app itself (QuickSettings) so I uninstalled it, did *22899 and rebooted. 3g problems went away but now I'm getting intermittent status bar messages that say "message not downloaded - generic network failure".

I am using Handcent and I *think* I'm getting all the messages I've been sent but how could I tell? I've been getting some, at least. I turned off the auto-retrieve for the HTC native messages app but I'm still getting the status message periodically. The phone will vibrate and notify like I've gotten a SMS but all I'm getting is the error message - about every 10 minutes.

From searching around it appears that this has been a thing with the Eris but the fact that it *was* working and now it's not is confusing to me. Is there a known conflict out there with an app combination that does this? I searched the forums and the google but I'm coming up empty.

Help?

It appears that this is (also?) a MMS issue. I have tried to send MMS's to the phone and it will recognize that a message has arrived but will not download the attachment. Handcent and HTC messages both give me an error but the "message not downloaded" in the status bar comes from the native HTC app.

Upvote 0
Hi. I had the exact same problems. It started when I disabled the mobile data on the quicksettings app. I then uninstalled the app, but I still could not send/receive MMS and kept gettin the error message.

I had reinstalled the quicksettings app a couple times to see if it would help, but it never did.

HOWEVER, I re-installed the updated quicksettings app today, and everything works fine again! Don't have to hard reset back to factory settings! Just wanted to pass that along.

Upvote 0
Hi. I had the exact same problems. It started when I disabled the mobile data on the quicksettings app. I then uninstalled the app, but I still could not send/receive MMS and kept gettin the error message.

I had reinstalled the quicksettings app a couple times to see if it would help, but it never did.

HOWEVER, I re-installed the updated quicksettings app today, and everything works fine again! Don't have to hard reset back to factory settings! Just wanted to pass that along.

How did you download it? Its not showing up in the market for me now. I need to install it to get MMS to work again.

Upvote 0
We received our first video message today of our nephew learning to walk. Clicked to download and got the same error message in the title. Tried again, same thing. In our notifications it said something like message not downloaded too. Using stock messaging, no apps or anything installed for it.

Anyway, backed out of the text, and then got back in and there was the video. It played just fine. Really weird that it never said it downloaded but suddenly appeared. A little worried because more than any apps or special features, we use the picture/video texts the most to see nieces and nephews etc.

Hope there's a fix or at least an explanation.

Upvote 0
kinda new to this driod stuff the problem I have is that it says generic failure but does send it incoming i must manually download and doing the above fix there are no disables to delete my apn looks like the fixed version but QS still says APN not configured so except for the stupid message everything works any ideas on whats causing the message thanks

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue that everyone else is having. Im using stock mms and no additional settings. i have the size to 1mb. I did a factory reset with tech support when they sent the test mms it force closed com.Android.mms. they are sending me a new phone. Anyone not getting all of the mms, my friend sent me a 15 slide mms and I only recieved 2 slides.

Upvote 0
I got my replacement phone and it did the same thing. I went and called Verizon and got a trouble ticket started. After 2 weeks of testing they found its a Verizon to HTC problem and there should be an update coming for it, I'm not saying its gonna be 2.2 but more like the email fix when the phone was first released.
Interesting. I called Verizon and they had no clue and HTC was useless.

Upvote 0
I have been experiencing the force closes with com.android.mms and I think I have nailed down the steps to reproduce the problem. I can reproduce the problem after a factory reset and with stock messaging, Chomp and Handcent. I have duplicated it on two Incredibles that were received three weeks apart.

1) Make sure WiFi is turned on (It does not have to be connected)
2) Reboot the phone (ie. Turn off the phone and turn it back on)
3) Wait at the home screen and have someone send you an mms.

You should get a force close on com.android.mms within 15 seconds of receiving the mms or when you download the mms picture.

From my experience the force close only happens once per reboot and it does not prevent the eventual download of the mms. Just the nasty force close message.

Try it out and let me know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones