• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Message thread so long (4000+) it creates lag

mitcho

Dec 19, 2009
Minnesota
My text thread with my girlfriend is over 4000 messages long, causing significantly noticeable lag-time. I've tried to delete the entire thread with her, but it just freezes up the program and I have to force quit it, and it won't delete the thread. Is there any way to erase all text messages at once, preferably from outside the program?

I let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Perhaps I should let it sit longer? without touching it?

hmm, 10 minutes certainly seems like it should have been long enough lol. Perhaps let it sit overnight while it's trying to delete them and see if it works. Otherwise, I believe there's another thread 2 or 3 pages back that mentions the same issue

Upvote 0
This is just an observation, and certainly no disrespect on anyone present here ... but how bad does an app have to be put together to take that long to delete data? :thinking:
I mean, we're probably talking about a simple "from database drop x" operation. If Cody's phone needs ~600 seconds to delete 800 entries, that is certainly is not an impressive performance. :(

Upvote 0
its still a no-go :( it won't delete that many messages. It will sit on one screen for hours, then return me to my home screen, with the message thread still there.

I found this in another forum.
cannot delete sms messages - xda-developers

I don't quite understand how to do things like this though....
What is an adb?? and what directory should I set it to (I use a mac)

Upvote 0
though I don't disagree that deleting them one by one would WORK, I simply just don't have the time to be going through deleting 4500+ texts..... Isn't there supposed to be some big update coming for the hero sometime next year? I wonder if this issue will be resolved then....

Here is my lame contribution. Delete 2 everytime you get a new one and soon your messages will be under control. :)

Upvote 0
i deleted around 2600 messages in a thread using the quick delete app. I set the screen to never time out and it worked in under half an hour( i lost track of how long it actually was) The first two times i tried it without setting the screen to not timeout, it failed to delete the thread after hours of just sitting there.

Upvote 0
mitcho I am having the SAME problem..i have over 2000 texts from 1 person and I cant delete nor recieve pictures, I can however send pics which does not make any sense.
i am able to type faster on a message than the phone can keep up. its lagging my whole phone and whenever i try to delete another message that has 450 texts it freezes up. i am forced to kill the app, reload with NO messages at all. restart phone and all messages are back, even the one i tried to delete.
its really frustrating b/c texting is a big part of cell phones these days, how can they screw that up? i shouldnt have to delete my messages so this doesnt happen.
some smartphone this is.
only one way i can think of deleting it..and i am not about to do it. reformat it.

Upvote 0
FINALLY, I have a solution! Woohoo! ^_^
There is an app called "Sms quick delete" that works! Granted, it took me 3 hours to delete the thread that is now 4500+, but at least it worked! I set it to never turn off, kept it plugged in, and just let it sit uninterrupted, checked on it 3 hours later, and it was fine :)

another thing that could have attributed to it actually working was that I deleted most of my smaller threads with other people too, I believe that could have sped up the process a bit as well. Anyway, give it a shot! Hope it works for you too!! I know how ANNOYING it was texting my girlfriend, whom I text the most, and having to wait 1-2 minutes every time I press "send" and the general lag when I am inputting text as well!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones