• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Message to all Droid Lurkers!!

Freshly signed up and like most very seriously considering taking the rooting plunge.

Only concern is is the phone experiences issues and have to use warranty or insurance claim. Not computer savvy here either, but am very intrigued especially regarding the battery life.

I guess what I'm looking for is a final push me into the pool type of argument.

But will begin to be more active and offer whatever limited knowledge and biased opinions I have.

Welcome! I was here for months before I rooted. This is a community and not all are techies (I'm not), but we add to this sense of community and have our own observations. Glad you signed up! :D

I have been lurking on these forums for awhile. I have found some cool apps people have talked about. I finally registered because I am ready to take the plunge and root my Droid. I have been nervous (and still am a bit) but have found the threads here helpful and when I have time this week I will be rooting my phone. This forum is very helpful and came highly recommended by a friend of mine.

Thanks for joining and posting! We welcome your participation! :D

I've been lurking in the forum for a long time, heck 12 posts since Dec 2009 should be some sort of record? But I am on here every day and I do read every post under the forums that pertain to me (which is nearly all of them). But my problem is I suffer from a poor self image so when I think about contributing I say, "no they'll think that's dumb," or "someone else will offer a better explanation."

We'll.. YOU'RE the person I wrote this thread for. If they don't think I'm dumb, they won't think you are. ;) Trust me. My posts are far more worthless than anyone else's, but we are building a sense of community, here, and relationship around our hobbies (phones) and we don't judge each other's input. I we do, we get warned and banned. Thanks for answering the call. I look forward to getting to know you. PM me if you need anything! :D :D

Hey okkiedokki I'm no rocket scientist and I've made some whoppers of posts... but I also have an inbox full of "thank you"s from people I've helped root & ROM their devices.

Don't think for a SECOND that your input isn't valuable or welcome... you never know who you're going to help or inspire. Post away! :D

+1 million

Not really a lurker but have to admit I am careful about joining in as I have been flamed a few times for offering my two cents worth. Some folks have no tolerance. Makes me wary of offering what little help I can. I have managed to root and ROM my phone though and am quite proud of the result.

Please check your PM for my personal apology to you on behalf of the forum. In the future, please report offensive flaming posts. They are not allowed here. :)

Upvote 0
Hey CK12 if I can root my droid I am sure you will be fine. Just take it slow and read everything carefully before you jump in. There are some great apps that will do the root for you but you will probably want to do it the long way the first time just so you know what is what. I was nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs my first time but I got through it. Even my nails survived! Always best to be informed. :) And there is a great tutorial that I am sure you have already found under the all things rooted thread.

Upvote 0
Hey CK12 if I can root my droid I am sure you will be fine. Just take it slow and read everything carefully before you jump in. There are some great apps that will do the root for you but you will probably want to do it the long way the first time just so you know what is what. I was nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs my first time but I got through it. Even my nails survived! Always best to be informed. :) And there is a great tutorial that I am sure you have already found under the all things rooted thread.

Haha thanks for the reassurance! Yeah, I just saw the one-click for FRG22 and it's tempting but I probably would be best served to go the long way the first time around. I've been trying to read up on this process, Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum. I've seen it posted a few times so I figure it's probably about as good a way to go as any.

Upvote 0
I have been lurking since I got my Droid Memorial Day weekend. Just finally decided to register. This forum has been helpful since I've had my Droid and I'm now thinking about rooting. I'm a little hesistant to try it but I'm sure I wouldn't regret it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions when I take the plunge so thanks in advance.

The magic of this place is that there is more than information here. What happens is you ask for help and you get it! For example, kokiangel was helpful to you (below) and now you have some history there. For me, this place is about the relationships built around our hobby; our Androids. So, I welcome you to this community, participation in it and just having some fun with us! :D

+1

Upvote 0
Glad to see so many people "coming out of the shadows" :D Welcome!

There may be some rude people that come here occasionally but the vast majority of the people here will bend over backwards to help. The only thing that is usually asked in return is that you be willing to learn and then to possibly share the knowledge you gain with someone else that comes along with similar questions ;)

If someone is being rude or disrespectful, please click on the "report post" icon located at the bottom left of every post. That will dispatch a Moderator to take a look at the post or posts in question. This is a helpful and friendly forum...we'll make sure it stays that way! :)

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
Well add another to the list of people you have successfully convinced/enabled to root their droid. My only question now is where to go from here.

I DL ROM Manager(pro) from appbrain as well as set cpu. But I heard you need to have specific kernels to safely overclock the phone. I instantly created a backup so I can feel free to play around from here. Late last night I in installed CyanogenMod but decided to go back to my backup after i was unable to sync my gmail and facebook accounts using CMG.

My question to you guys, is what ROM/Kernel should I DL to allow me successful overclocking as well as that WOW factor to make me feel like I truly made the right choice.

Thanks to everyone for all their help in here.

Upvote 0
Glad to see so many people "coming out of the shadows" :D Welcome!

There may be some rude people that come here occasionally but the vast majority of the people here will bend over backwards to help. The only thing that is usually asked in return is that you be willing to learn and then to possibly share the knowledge you gain with someone else that comes along with similar questions ;)

If someone is being rude or disrespectful, please click on the "report post" icon located at the bottom left of every post. That will dispatch a Moderator to take a look at the post or posts in question. This is a helpful and friendly forum...we'll make sure it stays that way! :)

I couldn't have said it better myself! In fact I didn't! ;)

Well add another to the list of people you have successfully convinced/enabled to root their droid. My only question now is where to go from here.

I DL ROM Manager(pro) from appbrain as well as set cpu. But I heard you need to have specific kernels to safely overclock the phone. I instantly created a backup so I can feel free to play around from here. Late last night I in installed CyanogenMod but decided to go back to my backup after i was unable to sync my gmail and facebook accounts using CMG.

My question to you guys, is what ROM/Kernel should I DL to allow me successful overclocking as well as that WOW factor to make me feel like I truly made the right choice.

Thanks to everyone for all their help in here.

Glad you're here. Glad you're rooted! Glad you joined the community!

Add me to the list as well because I got my root on yesterday. I've been checking around and the overwhelming advice was to back everything up first and then go out and play:)

Cool! Now come out and play with us. Sarcasm, fun and wit are appreciated! :):D

Upvote 0
I'm another who signed up and then lurked - alot! I've read about the pros and cons of rooting (didn't really "need" it), watched some folks suffer the pain and agony of the first 2.2 update (which I forced, thanks to this forum), and picked up lots of tips and tricks along the way.

Now I'm getting ready to finally root my phone. I've had it since early December, and it's not causing me any trouble, but rooting is really the only way the D1 is going to have any more improvements. I've downloaded most of the files I need, and will probably pull the trigger this weekend. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the welcome and call to come out of the shadows.

Upvote 0
I'm another who signed up and then lurked - alot! I've read about the pros and cons of rooting (didn't really "need" it), watched some folks suffer the pain and agony of the first 2.2 update (which I forced, thanks to this forum), and picked up lots of tips and tricks along the way.

Now I'm getting ready to finally root my phone. I've had it since early December, and it's not causing me any trouble, but rooting is really the only way the D1 is going to have any more improvements. I've downloaded most of the files I need, and will probably pull the trigger this weekend. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the welcome and call to come out of the shadows.

Good luck! If something goes wrong?
ask someone else! ;)jk

Feel free to continue to contribute to the converstations! Glad you came out of lurking!

Upvote 0
I really want to root but am still on edge about it. I can't decide which method to use and just feel like an idiot trying to read everything, hah.

NEVER feel like an idiot when you're educating yourself... you're getting smarter! Once you decide on a method and pull the rooting trigger, you'll (a) wonder what the fuss was all about and (b) enjoy your Droid like never before.

Upvote 0
NEVER feel like an idiot when you're educating yourself... you're getting smarter! Once you decide on a method and pull the rooting trigger, you'll (a) wonder what the fuss was all about and (b) enjoy your Droid like never before.

+1 That's exactly what happened to me. Well said.

Upvote 0
I downloaded everything for this method, Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum, but couldn't get RSDLite to install on my computer. Downloaded to my desktop but the file won't open.

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular method you guys recommend? The new Root or Soup method is appealing but I'm not sure what would truly be the best way to go. I just read all the stories of people speeding up their device and see some of the customization and I won't lie, I get a little jealous, haha.

Thanks and sorry if I should discuss this in another thread.

Upvote 0
I downloaded everything for this method, Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum, but couldn't get RSDLite to install on my computer. Downloaded to my desktop but the file won't open.

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular method you guys recommend? The new Root or Soup method is appealing but I'm not sure what would truly be the best way to go. I just read all the stories of people speeding up their device and see some of the customization and I won't lie, I get a little jealous, haha.

Thanks and sorry if I should discuss this in another thread.

Heh! This is a good question. Please create a thread in the root section. The folks will discuss it with you there. :) Glad you're here! :D

Good luck rooting. I know it is scary but if I can do it so can you. Currently I am running CyanogenMod 6.0.0-RC3 and I really like it. Of course, don't forget the Froyo Google Apps to go along with it. An absolute must have!

+1

Thanks Steven58 for the welcome. My droid should be arriving this Tuesday or Wednesday. I plan on rooting it if it isnt already and trying out some of the custom ROMs and themes.
After I get to know my device a little better I will start participating in these forums.
Thank you all for the information and ROM development, etc...

Welcome to the Android Forums community! Glad you signed up! :) Please feel free to join the conversations! :D

Upvote 0
ive been lurking right up until RDKamikaze did soup or root. That was 2 days ago and ive already tried 2 different roms and one of chevys kernals. so glad i rooted and read everything could before i did. since this ive become less of a lurker and started to join in more.

I'm so glad to hear you say that! Welcome! I'm glad you'll be joining in the conversations!

Steven

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones