• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Message to all Evo Shift 4G Lurkers

EarlyMon

The PearlyMon
Jun 10, 2010
New Mexico, USA
Message to all Evo Shift 4G Lurkers:

I want to tell you I'm glad you're here. Moreover, I have a question for you. Why not sign up and contribute? You don't have to be a geeky rocket scientist! We welcome your questions, your comments and your shmoozing!

Don't be afraid! Do it today!

If you need any help, just PM me, or anyone with a red or green name badge, and we'll be glad to help you get around in here!

You don't need to already have an Android phone to sign up. If you need help deciding if this is the right phone for you, c'mon in and ask questions

Reactions: FatMan6288 and Bryn
Well I'm coming from a palm pixi and I love how it syncs all my contacts, calendar, and everything else with gmail. I've had a palm phone for the last 5 years so I'm not familiar with android but have heard so many good things. I'm gonna assume that since its a google phone that it would also sync my gmail contacts and calendar correct? That will make my transition to android a breeze, I plan on getting the Evo shift in 2 days and I'm actually excited. Gonna browse around now, Ill be a android user soon.

Upvote 0
Yes - syncing with Google Calendar and Contacts and Gmail is no issue.

In fact, I use CallTrack and then log all of calls to a separate calendar - leaves no question for my business uses when I made or took calls from any given party. And it does all of that completely automagically!

I also use GDocs to access my google docs - quick and dirty, very effective.

Upvote 0
I'm digging my shift. Fastest phone I've ever had by far. About 6x faster than my last phone (samsung moment)

I've witnessed no glitching or program crashes like alot of phones experience right out of the box.

I LOVE IT AND WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW!

IMO better than the iphone. Snappier, great stock apps, and has a slideout keyboard. (can't stand touch screen keyboards) QWERTY FTW!

Only thing I dont like is that when sliding the phone open it is not spring loaded and requires you to physically slide the screen all the way up rather than just popping it open like most sliding phones these days. I can live with that though. Better than having an antenna that doesnt work (iphone) lol

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Hi i am new to the android system. I'm planning on purchasing the shift by the end of the month. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on some of the benefits of the android OS. Would like to know what can be done by rooting. and any other information that you would think would be relevant. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just purchased two this weekend at best buy for $99 ea. I use one as the main phone and the second as a backup and external charger for a battery. For 99 it was worth the money for the battery and cables. I am also using the second as a hot spot.

I am amazed at the speed compared to my Touch Pro. I also have a iPod touch but now don't need that since I learned of the app that syncs my iTunes to the Shift wirelessly.

The onlly thing I miss about the touch pro wm 6.1 is the spelling application. I would rather run a spelling check on the final text than do it a word at a time. I welcome help on this.

I was hesitant to switch from WinMo because I ama heavy corporate email, contact and calendar users under exchange. This works well but requires a little getting used to.

Upvote 0
I am also using the second as a hot spot.

I also have a iPod touch but now don't need that since I learned of the app that syncs my iTunes to the Shift wirelessly.

I was hesitant to switch from WinMo because I ama heavy corporate email, contact and calendar users under exchange. This works well but requires a little getting used to.

For the hot spot and the itunes wirelessly... How?

As far as the corp email there are other apps. I prefer the touchdown app for the work email. It's fantastic. A little pricey though.

Upvote 0
I just (today) bought the Shift after about two years with the Palm Pre. I am a new Android user, so I'm still learning the ropes. I participated in a similar forum for Palm Pre owners, and the users were always great help. I hope for the same here. So far I love the phone (except for the pesky volume switch!) and look foward to hangin' out with everyone here and hopefully learning a bunch along the way. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums!

For wireless music sync, check out iSyncr and doubletwist.

Sprint offers a hotspot feature for a fee or you can root and get to it that way for free. If free, don't expect to stream huge amounts of data without getting noticed - Sprint hasn't cracked down on anyone so far as I know, but contractually, they certainly could.

Upvote 0
I've had the HTC Hero for about a year and a half and I'm considering upgrading. I've mostly been happy with it except that I've maxed out the memory and the charger cable is falling apart. I'm not sure if the Evo or the Shift is a better option for me so I'm looking for opinions. What I love about my Hero are its small size and the touch screen compact QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode. So I like that the shift is smaller than the Evo but I'm not really interested in the hardware keyboard and not sure if it has compact QWERTY as an option for the touchscreen.

Upvote 0
If the Shift's physical keyboard is not to your liking and the Evo is too big, then maybe next week's announcements at CTIA can add to the choices (or confusion).

In any case, the Shift will allow for on-screen typing with any of the same keyboards you'd use on the Evo.

Both are Evos, both are great options.

A lot of Hero owners have upgraded happily to the Shift. :)

Reactions: V425
Upvote 0
I saw the announcement for the Nexus S 4G which looks a lot more like what I want. I'm just not sure how I'd like straight google without sense

Well, that's a personal choice and therefore a tough one. :)

If you really like Sense, you can approximate it with add-on launchers and widgets, but not really match it - so, it may depend on which Sense features you're looking as the best for you that will help with your decision.

I've lived with vanilla Android and loved it - Android goodness is Android goodness on a lot of levels, meaning - you can customize it a LOT. ;)

Upvote 0
I've had the HTC Hero for about a year and a half and I'm considering upgrading. I've mostly been happy with it except that I've maxed out the memory and the charger cable is falling apart. I'm not sure if the Evo or the Shift is a better option for me so I'm looking for opinions. What I love about my Hero are its small size and the touch screen compact QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode. So I like that the shift is smaller than the Evo but I'm not really interested in the hardware keyboard and not sure if it has compact QWERTY as an option for the touchscreen.
I played with the EVO Shift in a Sprint store for half an hour last night. To answer your question YES, the Evo Shift has the compact QWERTY that you loved so much. It is actually my preferred keyboard. In may, when my $75 upgrade becomes available I will probably be purchasing this phone.

Upvote 0
Hey there. :) I had a Samsung Moment up until about a month ago, and now I have an EVO Shift. I was never happy with my Moment, but this phone has just about rocked my world. I'm getting much better battery life, and it is far, far faster.

Just want to say thank you to all the folks who answer questions around here. This forum has helped me out a ton and given great suggestions. It's definitely my go-to forum for all things Android.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones