• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messages About Viruses and Spyware

Where are the messages from? Random texts on your phone or something on your PC? Don't ever install anything that is offered to you in this manner, guaranteed it's some form of malware. Although phones generally don't get viruses like PC's, there are plenty of malicious apps that can harvest data and personal info from your phone and do other bad things. Only install apps from the Play store, and stick with ones that are from known developers with lots of downloads and positive reviews.

Upvote 0
Where are the messages from? Random texts on your phone or something on your PC? Don't ever install anything that is offered to you in this manner, guaranteed it's some form of malware. Although phones generally don't get viruses like PC's, there are plenty of malicious apps that can harvest data and personal info from your phone and do other bad things. Only install apps from the Play store, and stick with ones that are from known developers with lots of downloads and positive reviews.

It comes in on the very top of the phone where my little messages icon comes in with the little M on it. It comes in with a little gold star symbol. If I tap it to get rid of it, it starts to connect through metroweb. I just stop the connection and close the metroweb app.

I have not downloaded anything except a few things from the app store. The apps I have are Pulse, eBay, Merriam-Webster, BBC News, Craigslist, Yahoo Mail, Yard Sale Treasures, GWiki, TED, History Eraser BofA, Chase, babbel French, Amazon, and WFAA. All of these came from the app store.

Believe me, I am not smart enough with these phones to do anything very sophisticated with them.

Upvote 0
if you are getting this messages, that means that you already installed something you should not have.
Hello, I am completely new to the forum, and I have never tried to root or anything like that. However, I have recently discovered that my husband has put some kind of spyware on my phone, and I want it off, or I would like info on some kind of counter spyware. Can you help me or direct me to the right forum for this? I have an LG Motion 4G by Metro PCS, and I have a couple of suspicious looking apps on here that I can't remove. Its really frustrating to know that he can have this kind of control over my phone, and I am helpless.

Upvote 0
Okay, another one came in today. A little gold star appeared at the top left hand corner of phone's screen. I tapped, it and saw that it came from ad.leadbolt.apps or some such. I tapped on it and it too me to lw.pch.com/?adld=12465&extld=137-1168137&p=10036210, an ad for publisher's clearing house. So, the leadbolt is what is pushing these ads to me. There is an app on their site to down loa to "opt out" of their ads, but I have not downloaded it. I am afraid it might make things worse.

Any ideas what app is causing this junk to come in via leadbolt ads?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones