• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messages App closes as soon as I open it...

When I open the Messages app and begin to type, it will close and reopen and return me to the first menu in the app. WTF? I've tried going into managing apps and clearing the cache.

Also tried deleting everything in my inbox and drafts. Any ideas? It's really annoying.

Also, when I look for Messages in my Task Manager app, it doesnt show up unless I keep the app open and open the task manager from the notification bar. I made sure my Task Manager doesnt autokill the app or anything...

I've had the task manager since day 1 though, and today I finally have a problem?

so? when troubleshooting, it's necessary to factor out unknowns. Because you don't know if the task killer is affecting it, just get rid of it. It's not like you can't download it again if you really feel it's needed.

BTW, what Toked said is true- task killers are unnecessary. I got my DInc on launch day and downloaded ATK immediately. Based on what I read on here (and the fact that I hated when it closed background apps like the clock/alarm), It didn't even last through the weekend... and I've had no problems. Battery life (check up time vs awake time) has been just fine, and I've had no performance issues.

Upvote 0
so? when troubleshooting, it's necessary to factor out unknowns. Because you don't know if the task killer is affecting it, just get rid of it. It's not like you can't download it again if you really feel it's needed.

BTW, what Toked said is true- task killers are unnecessary. I got my DInc on launch day and downloaded ATK immediately. Based on what I read on here (and the fact that I hated when it closed background apps like the clock/alarm), It didn't even last through the weekend... and I've had no problems. Battery life (check up time vs awake time) has been just fine, and I've had no performance issues.

hmm. I'll uninstall it then! I was just worried that apps running in the background would kill my battery life....

Upvote 0
apps running in the background DO kill your battery life. Go to settings> about phone> battery. check the up time (how long phone is powered on) and compare to awake time (how long phone has been in use). Unless you JUST turned on your phone, or never stop using it, those 2 numbers shouldn't be anywhere near each other.

right from that menu, you can also check what is using the battery. You'll have android system, cell idle, and display, almost always. anything else, like downloaded apps, may be sucking up your battery. if you use the app a lot, then so be it. but if you dont use it often, or at all, and it's sitting there with a high %, chances are it's killing the charge and should be deleted.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled it but it's still happening. I wonder if doing a full restore would fix it....

is there an easy way to back up all of my apps and pics and all that?

pics are usually stored on the sd card, so you should be ok. I used "astro file manager" to backup my apps to the sd card.... just reset, download the app again, then use it to restore your apps.

NOTE: because other apps may be affecting it, do not install them right away. use the messaging app for a bit, then install something else. see if all is well, then install the next app. if you get to a point where the messaging starts crashing, chances are it's the last thing that was installed...

edit: make sure your pics are saved before you reset, because there's no restore for that kind of thing!!!! I suggest mounting your phone to your computer and saving anything with a jpg extension, or making sure they are on the sd card.

Upvote 0
apps running in the background DO kill your battery life. Go to settings> about phone> battery. check the up time (how long phone is powered on) and compare to awake time (how long phone has been in use). Unless you JUST turned on your phone, or never stop using it, those 2 numbers shouldn't be anywhere near each other..

Crappy apps running in the background can kill your battery life, but not well written apps.

If an app is so poorly written that you can identify that it is eating up your battery, then you should uninstall it. There are no default apps that eat your battery when not used or used properly.

Upvote 0
your apps will automatically redownload so yoi dont have anything to worry about.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

They do? I'd really like to see that. Maybe it is a setting when you restore? Please, tell us more. A video of the phone remembering what apps you had before a factory reset and automatically reinstalling them would be priceless.

OK, you first!

Upvote 0
your apps will automatically redownload so yoi dont have anything to worry about.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Says who? Apps will not be automatically redownloaded if you do a factory reset. Once its gone, you're back to square one. As for Appbrain, it does provide a list of your apps, however I read somewhere that you cannot back up your phone this way. Once you wipe, Appbrain cannot reinstall on its own and you have to do each one manually. I have not done this so I cannot say but just some food for thought.

Upvote 0
Every time I've flashed a fresh new ROM I've done 2 factory resets and cache wipes. and after i signed into my gmail account I would go into the market and accept the user agreement and it would redownload every app I had. Its done it every single time without fail, so I'm pretty sure it will happen for you too. Your apps are synced with your account by Google just like everything else.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones