• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messages App - "Recent" Pictures?

p0rky

Lurker
Nov 7, 2014
I'm trying to determine the actual storage location of three images on my Nexus 5x. I don't actually care about the photos, I'm just increasingly curious about where exactly they are being stored.

I'll do my best to explain this as directly as possible. I apologize in advance if this is overly long.

Let's say I want to text someone an image using the stock Messages app. I open a new message, hit the + , and then select the 'gallery' icon that appears at the top left of all of the images that show up. This takes me to "Recent" and shows me a series of images, including the three images that I'm curious about.

Here's the deal:
  • The only placed I can see these images is in the "Recent" menu of the Messages app as described above.
  • From there, I am able to successfully attach them to a message and send them.
  • The images do not appear in any of the available device folders in the stock Photos App.
  • I'm rooted and have attempted to search the storage using Total Commander, but have been unable to locate these three images in this way (including simply searching for all images)
  • To the best of my knowledge, these images were not backed up to any cloud service. I did look through my dropbox account and they are not there.
  • Additionally, this is my second Nexus 5x (the first one was recently replaced under warranty), and the three images in question were taken using the first phone.
  • The SIM was transferred from the old phone to the new one, but a factory reset was performed before this was done, and has been performed once since then on the second device.
  • Finally, I used an application called AB Commander to try and use my PC to search through the phone. I pulled every image from phone, but these three were not among them.
  • These three images were originally sent via SMS using the stock Messages app.
Again, I could care less about the images themselves, but the more I unsuccessfully search for their stored location, the more obsessed I become with finding them!

Thank you for your time.

I'm trying to determine the actual storage location of three images on my Nexus 5x. I don't actually care about the photos, I'm just increasingly curious about

<i>where exactly </i>they are being stored.

<br>

<br> I'll do my best to explain this as directly as possible. I apologize in advance if this is overly long.

<br>

<br> Let's say I want to text someone an image using the stock Messages app. I open a new message, hit the + , and then select the 'gallery' icon that appears at the top left of all of the images that show up. This takes me to 'Recent' and shows me a series of images, including the three images that I'm curious about.

<br>

<br>

<br> Here's the deal:

<br>

<ul>

<li>The <i>only</i> placed I can see these images is in the 'Recent' menu of the Messages app as described above.</li>

<li>From there, I am able to successfully attach them to a message and send them.</li>

<li>The images do not appear in any of the available device folders in the stock Photos App.</li>

<li>I'm rooted and have attempted to search the storage using Total Commander, but have been unable to locate these three images in this way (including simply searching for all images)</li>

<li>To the best of my knowledge, these images were not backed up to any cloud service. I did look through my dropbox account and they are not there.</li>

<li>Additionally, this is my second Nexus 5x (the first one was recently replaced under warranty), and the three images in question were taken using the first phone.</li>

<li>The SIM was transferred from the old phone to the new one, but a factory reset was performed before this was done, and has been performed once since then on the second device.</li>

<li>Finally, I used an application called AB Commander to try and use my PC to search through the phone. I pulled every image from phone, but these three were not among them.</li>

<li>These three images were originally sent via SMS using the stock Messages app.</li>

</ul>Again, I could care less about the images themselves, but the more I unsuccessfully search for their stored location, the more obsessed I become with finding them!

<br>

<br> Thank you for your time.
Look for a settings option in your search app and unselect 'recognise .nomedia' if possible. Otherwise look in the .dthumbs/.thumbdata folders of your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones