1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Messages App - "Recent" Pictures?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by p0rky, Sep 28, 2017.

1. p0rky

p0rky Lurker
    None

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm trying to determine the actual storage location of three images on my Nexus 5x. I don't actually care about the photos, I'm just increasingly curious about where exactly they are being stored.

I'll do my best to explain this as directly as possible. I apologize in advance if this is overly long.

Let's say I want to text someone an image using the stock Messages app. I open a new message, hit the + , and then select the 'gallery' icon that appears at the top left of all of the images that show up. This takes me to "Recent" and shows me a series of images, including the three images that I'm curious about.

Here's the deal:
    • The only placed I can see these images is in the "Recent" menu of the Messages app as described above.
    • From there, I am able to successfully attach them to a message and send them.
    • The images do not appear in any of the available device folders in the stock Photos App.
    • I'm rooted and have attempted to search the storage using Total Commander, but have been unable to locate these three images in this way (including simply searching for all images)
    • To the best of my knowledge, these images were not backed up to any cloud service. I did look through my dropbox account and they are not there.
    • Additionally, this is my second Nexus 5x (the first one was recently replaced under warranty), and the three images in question were taken using the first phone.
    • The SIM was transferred from the old phone to the new one, but a factory reset was performed before this was done, and has been performed once since then on the second device.
    • Finally, I used an application called AB Commander to try and use my PC to search through the phone. I pulled every image from phone, but these three were not among them.
    • These three images were originally sent via SMS using the stock Messages app.
    Again, I could care less about the images themselves, but the more I unsuccessfully search for their stored location, the more obsessed I become with finding them!

Thank you for your time.

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    Use a file explorer and look in the media folder, but it's dependent on the messaging app.
    I use Textra, so by default they are stored in the Textra folder. Your gallery app should tell you the exact folder also.

3. Aniruddha060

Aniruddha060 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    Look for a settings option in your search app and unselect 'recognise .nomedia' if possible. Otherwise look in the .dthumbs/.thumbdata folders of your phone.

4. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Nov 8, 2011
    Were the pics taken in the normal way or are they from Capture Picture..to insert into a text..?? It is possible that you are seeing them only because you have them in a text message somewhere. If you delete all your texts, it will probably remove those pics from recent.