• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Messages & Email problems

My Droid keeps saying i have new emails when i have already read them. i read them and exit the screen and my phone beeps to tell me i have new email and i go into the inbox and the ones i just read are unread for some odd reason. even when i check mark them and hit "mark as read" 5 min later i get a beep and look and the very same email is unread. even after i delete them it does the same thing.

Also i had the app handcent SMS and it was working great but them my messages started to get deleted and it force closed alot. So i uninstalled the app and now just going into regular messages it force closes alot and its being very slow! can someone help me or tell me if they are having the same problem. please and thankyou

I was using SMS popup got alot of force closes so I switched to Handcent and I am getting my Texts to the handcent and the default messanger at the same time. Also when I get email with attachments I can open them but if I try to save them It causes my e-mail to force close. Hurry up DEC 11 lol

the reason this is happening is because you're using both the messaging systems. try removing the notifications from the default sms/mms system, setting up your notifications in handcent, and also telling the system to use handcent for sms/mms by default.

should solve your problem.

Upvote 0
you could try the following. it worked for my duplicate text messaging issue.

open the dialer --> dial *228 and call --> choose option 1.

apparently it sends a service update from verizon to your phone and updates the PRL. i guess what happened when i was sending duplicate texts was that my phone wasnt updated with the most recent carrier service pack or something.

try that out?

Upvote 0
Baka, I have/had an issue where sometimes txt messages would send twice. I have never received any twice, but the GF says once in a while, she'll get my messages twice. I've checked while it was happening with another friend, and he received them twice, too.

I tried the *228 > option 1 you suggested. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

I also use HandCent for SMS, and have disabled notification in the built-in Messaging app, but how do I set the system to default to HandCent for SMS? I couldn't find anything in the settings menu.

Upvote 0
Baka, I have/had an issue where sometimes txt messages would send twice. I have never received any twice, but the GF says once in a while, she'll get my messages twice. I've checked while it was happening with another friend, and he received them twice, too.

I tried the *228 > option 1 you suggested. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

I also use HandCent for SMS, and have disabled notification in the built-in Messaging app, but how do I set the system to default to HandCent for SMS? I couldn't find anything in the settings menu.

so far i havent had anyone say im double sending texts so im hoping it worked too.

i cant seem to find something that enables a switch to default either. there used to be something that would allow you to choose which app to use by default. i even checked under manage apps and still nothing.

keep looking i guess....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones