1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Messages from Unknown Source Don't Download

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by joecmiller, Feb 14, 2016.

1. joecmiller

joecmiller Newbie

I receive many messages from an unknown source of the form ''Message size: 1KB Expires 2:32 AM, Feb 18''. When I press '''download'' a spinning icon appears with the message ''Downloading" ... but that goes on forever and nothing else happens.

Please advise.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

If it were me, I'd just delete those and not try to open or download anything from an unknown source.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I agree, might be stagefright and kill your phone

4. joecmiller

joecmiller Newbie

the messages pop up in the message files of people I know, but those people say they did not send the messages. so how can I know when to try to download a message because the known person may have indeed sent that message? ... and why does it not download when i press ''download''?

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

1. Did they send you MMS?
    2. Are your MMS settings correct?
    3. If the supposed senders claim to have not sent you something, I won't open it and ask the sender to examine their phone if it may have been hijacked by a malicious app.

6. joecmiller

joecmiller Newbie

what is mms?
    [I'm flying blind on this stuff because this is my newly acquired, and first, cell phone]

7. Kibaikasu

Kibaikasu Member

MMS stands for Multimedia Messaging, which is a SMS with media content attached to it (photos/videos/audio). In order to receive MMS, you need 2 things:

1) An active data plan and your mobile data turned on. Wi-fi will not work for receiving MMS unless you're using a 3rd party app like Whatsapp.

2) Your APN's need to be up-to-date. APN stands for Access Point Names. They are the key to the gateway that is your mobile data and MMS.

Should you find that all of the above is correct, then your best option would be to contact your network provider and verify that there is no network outage in your area or restriction on your line. If you are able to receive MMS from other lines and download them fine, then it might very well be that the file you are trying to open is either corrupt or malignant.

8. joecmiller

joecmiller Newbie

so I may be lucky that nothing downloaded. think I will wait until I need all that stuff, then I will implement it. in the meantime I will just delete said messages as mlss and danydet suggested. I have a much better understanding now of what is going on.
    thanks for all the help ... you guys are great.

9. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

If I do NOT know the sender, I delete it all. don't even look at it.

electricpete likes this.
  10. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Good decision. Everyone knows in pc email that we shouldn't open attachment from unknown sender. We might as well view mms the same way imo (if I don't know them, I don't care to see what's attached...stragefright patch or not)

11. joecmiller

joecmiller Newbie

far as i can remember, all my messages so far have been from family members, etc ... but none say they sent anything to me. the advise to delete when not sure is well received common sense and much appreciated.
    thanks again to all you folks. much has been clarified ... this all has been very very useful.

Blu8 likes this.