1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Messages sent from tablet via IMAP broken into attachments when viewed in Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by nellienobody, Apr 27, 2012.

1. nellienobody

nellienobody Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2012
    I have a personal laptop with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. I have my personal email accounts set up as IMAP/SMTP accounts.

I have a work laptop with Windows XP and Outlook 2007. I have one work email account set up as an Exchange account.

I have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 with Android 3.1. I have my personal email accounts set up there as IMAP/SMTP accounts as well.

When receiving and replying to email messages on my Tab, they look just fine both on the Tab and on the work laptop.

When viewing the messages in my IMAP folders on my personal laptop, the received messages in the Inbox look just fine, but the replies in the Sent folder are broken into attachments. The attachments include TXT and HTML files of the same items. Moving them to the PST file on my laptop doesn't make any difference.

I have never had this problem before with any of my email accounts or any of the Web-based or local email clients I use. I have only had this problem with messages sent from the Tab.

Is there some setting somewhere in the Android email app or Outlook that will fix this?

Can I "repair" these messages so they won't have all the attachments but be continuous messages again?

This has stopped me from using my tablet to send or respone to email.

Advertisement

2. coydroid

coydroid Newbie
    None

Shouldn't this be placed in the Galaxy forum? :stupid:

3. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    This has nothing to do with IMAP, since sent email uses SMTP.

Do you have SMTP (email composition in your email program) set to send HTML email? Don't. Email is a text medium. An email program is free to properly render HTML, improperly render it, just show all the text and tags or totally ignore it. And many email programs create defective HTML when sending.

The pst file has nothing to do with anything other than Outlook.

Is the problem with the way the messages are being sent, or with how they're being received? (It sounds as if the receiving program can't handle the flavor of HTML the sending program is creating.) If not sending HTML doesn't fix the problem, try to isolate the problem. Send the same email from another email program. Send the same email using the same email program, but to another email account using a different email program to read it. Once you know where the problem is, helping you to fix it will be a lot more possible.

4. nellienobody

nellienobody Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2012
    The problem is with the built-in email program, not with the tablet itself.

Slug likes this.
  5. nellienobody

nellienobody Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2012
    Are you faulting me for including too much information?

I am using the default email program that came with Android, which does not offer a choice between HTML and text. This doesn't have anything to do with HTML anyway. It has to do with how the default Android email client formats/processes the messages I send from it.

Again, are you faulting me for including too much information? The point is that the messages look fine until I view them in Outlook. Then they're broken up into attachments. Like I said.

As I said, the default Android email client doesn't offer a choice between HTML and text. I have already done all the testing you have suggested and then some. If I knew what the problem was, I wouldn't be exposing myself to unhelpful responses.

6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Please contribute helpfully or not at all.

Questions about issues relating to specific applications are on-topic here, regardless of device. If an issue later turns out to be device-specific then a simple "report" to the mod staff stating the fact will get it moved if necessary.

Thanks!

El Presidente and lunatic59 like this.