• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messages Still Draining Battery After Disabling

hi all, i had a quick question i couldn't find the answer to in the forums RE the message app battery drain on the HTC Hero, i disabled both auto-retrieve and notifications in the settings but when i run taskiller it still has messages running and using resources. anyone else have this problem and if you fixed it, what did you do? thanks in advance!

Have you installed another messaging app to use as an alternative? If you open the app it starts again and you need to kill it and reboot.
Handcent or chomp sms are good ones to use.

BUT. Are you SURE it's the messaging app? Download spare parts from the market and use it to check you battery history. Sometimes it's not the messaging app.

Also, what is your awake time?

Upvote 0
I have handcent. My awake time is 62%. My battery drains to around 25 percent after 10 hours of fairly light use. I just assumed it messages is still running and using resources because taskiller is telling me it is. I will d/l spare parts now. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully there is a fix for all of this mess sooner rather than later!

Upvote 0
Sometimes the stock email/messaging apps start when the phone boots. There are programmes that you can use to pick what starts at boot.

But, if your awake time is under 100%, I think you might be ok. The Hero doesn't havea great battery time, TBH.
There are things you can do to improve it though, set reasonable refresh times for mail, twitter, etc. Keep wi-fi and blue tooth off if you're not using them etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones