• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messaging app: some senders blue, others white?

Does it have something to do with ChatON? Is that app installed?

You've also got ChatON as standard with the Galaxy S3 - this is Samsung's version of BBM and is designed to allow you to talk to others on Samsung devices with the app installed. We struggled to find many friends running the service though - even those with Samsung phones didn't have the app enabled or downloaded.

Upvote 0
Here's a screenshot, blurred in consideration of my friend's names/photos. You can see how a few are blue and others white. They seem to change at random. Literally as I was scrolling around to take the screen capture more started popping up as blue.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 736
Upvote 0
Do the contacts in Blue vs White have different types of numbers in your Contacts? IE: Work, Home, Mobile, etc?

Just trying to put together some ideas of what may be causing this.

The contacts that are blue change randomly. If I go into a message and then hit the back button, or if I back out of the app all together then reopen it the names that are in blue is a completely different group of names everytime.

To be honest, I never even noticed it until it was mentioned here, now it is bugging me.

Upvote 0
Do the contacts in Blue vs White have different types of numbers in your Contacts? IE: Work, Home, Mobile, etc?

Just trying to put together some ideas of what may be causing this.

I don't think so, because like I said, the same contact is sometimes blue and sometimes white. And for almost everyone I only have "mobile". Don't generally use any of the others.

Upvote 0
You sure it's not read vs. unread on their end?

Or, could it be online/offline status if integrated with Facebook or some other program?
This may be a good answer.

Is there an option for "Delivery Reports" in your SMS settings? Are the people that are blue on the same carrier as you? Maybe this is how the S3 deals with delivery reports.

This may be the best lead!

Upvote 0
This may be a good answer.

Is there an option for "Delivery Reports" in your SMS settings? Are the people that are blue on the same carrier as you? Maybe this is how the S3 deals with delivery reports.

This may be the best lead!

This is not it. The list of contacts that are in blue is constantly changing, networks vary, some that are in there are even email addresses that some how sent me a text (only still in there because I never delete anything). Even the facebook thing doesn't pan out because only about 1/3 or less of my contacts are friends of mine on facebook. I really cannot find anything that connects these contacts. for example a message thread from my mom is white one minute, then I exit the messages app, open it back up and now she is blue and nothing in the thread has changed. I don't understand how it changes randomly.

Upvote 0
This happened to me twice because I got an emergency alert text regarding weatherstorms. Did you recently receive one too? If so, delete the emergency text and restart the phone. The blue names should go back to normal after that.

I did actually last Saturday. When it went off I was like what is that.

BTW that did fix it but I didn't have to restart the phone. I just force stopped the messaging app. Crazy

Upvote 0
So an emergency text from your carrier may be triggering this somehow?

Apparently so, because when I deleted it and restarted the app it cleared up the problem.

BTW that was the first emergency text I have ever received and it was for a flash flood watch. Last night we had some severe storms, one even blew a roof off of a warehouse about 20 minutes from me and yet no alert then. I don't quite understand the purpose of the alerts if they aren't going to work.

Reactions: zabagabe
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones