1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Messaging: Can I create a GROUP of contacts and assign a silent ringtone/notification sound?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by AndroidJfriah, May 24, 2016.

1. AndroidJfriah

AndroidJfriah Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    Hi - new to the forums here.
    I'd love to be able to have silent notifications for 'everyone except a short list of crucial contacts'

Anyone know a way to do so?
    Thank you

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    It may be helpful to know which device you are using so that people with the same device might have other suggestions.

There are a couple ways you could do this.

1.) Settings > Sounds > Phone Ringtone Set to none. Then visit your contacts list and edit any contacts you want to assign a ringtone for them. The main setting is global, and if it's set to none, you should still be able to set a ring tone for individual contacts as described.

The same should apply for messaging notifications as well, if you set that to none, but you may have to apply individual messaging tones to contacts within your messenger app. That's how it is on my Nexus 6. I can set individual ringtones in my dialer/contacts app and set individual message tones within the messenger app.

2.) If your Android device is running 5.0+ then you could use the do not disturb feature and set it to priority only. For your priority setup, you would want to allow notifications from starred contacts only, which would require you to go through your contacts list and star your favorite contacts.

Priority mode will also require you to enable the other types of notifications you'd like to hear, because this is for all notifications and not just contacts.

3. AndroidJfriah

AndroidJfriah Lurker
    None

May 24, 2016
    Male
    Sorry - Samsung Note 4