• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messaging crashed, all messages lost

Last night I got an SMS http://androidcommunity.com/forums/#from a friend, when I went to open it from the notification window, I got a dialogue box that told me Messaging had crashed. I confirmed the error, and tried opening Messaging again. I did this several times with the same results. I rebooted the phone only to find that ALL my messages are now gone. It's not a huge deal from a personal perspective, but it is a data loss issue and a big deal from the OS perspective. I didn't get to read the text message to see if there were any crazy characters that caused the crash. Has anyone run into this issue before? Has anyone been able to recover lost SMS before? I'm guessing I'll have to start backing them up.

I'm using Moto Droid 2.0.1

*Note: It also reset my time preferences and the date. It made the date December 31, 1969 and the time 8pm when it was actually 1am.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones