• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root messaging icon

DLM

Nov 29, 2009
NY
I got this second messaging icon that appears in the top left when I get a text. Its relentless and can only be cleared by dropping down the notification window and clicking on 'clear'. It looks like a small envelope but not very good graphically. I originally thought it was default app notification but its not. I'm rooted and have a custom rom installed. Someone please tell me how to stop it, I can't take it anymore. Thanks.

...What Kratos said...

also are you using a non-stock messaging system such as chomp. If you have notifications set for both you'll get two notifications in the notifications bar every time someone sends you an sms. So if you do have a non-stock app just go to settings in both messaging apps and make sure notifications are turned on for only the one you use. If this isn't the case, it may have to do with the rom. So providing more information might make it easier to troubleshoot the problem.

Upvote 0
I am pretty certain its the Bugless Beast V0.5 Android 2.2 FRG22D ROM here is picture of icon (its the one on the right)

PA170423-1.jpg

Upvote 0
That looks like a post card to me. Very weird. I have checked the settings I have for Handcent and don't see any notifications that look like that. There are a few other alternate messaging apps that may be using that as a notification, but I haven't used them.

If you can definitely rule out a messaging app as the source, I would contact the Dev of the ROM your running and see what they say about it. Now, you say you are fairly certain it is BB0.5. Did you have to wait for a second reboot while staring at the green android that says something like "tough here to get started"? If you did, that is BB0.5 and you will want to contact Peter Alfonso. If you just do a Google search for Peter Alfonso, you will find his website. I also believe that he has a forum here just for BB and you may be able to contact him that way too.

Kratos

Upvote 0
hmm, thats the message Icon i used to get when I used the Missed Call for Android app. I used it before roms allowed us to change the color of the LED light. If I had the notifications for missed call for Android and the native messaging app set to ON, my notification bar looked exactly like yours. That being said...do you have/use an app called missed call for android? If you do, get rid of it or at least turn the SMS notifications off.

Upvote 0
well I'm kind of stumped. I would say try downloading the program again, then going into settings>applications>manage applications, then find the program and hit the clear data button, then uninstall it from there again. Only other thing I can think of is you might have another similar program installed that's doing the same thing Missed Call for android would do. Go into your app drawer and check out all your apps and see if you might find one that could be a possible culprit. Other than that I really have no idea.

Upvote 0
I agree with kratos. Though I don't think you should need to wipe and install a new ROM. I have a feeling something like this is just a matter of an application setting. Just some trial and error. Kind of like how kratos suggested installing a few apps at a time then have someone text you. Either way works. Good luck

Upvote 0
Just for the record, since I know everything is good to go, I am running Handcent SMS 3.3.2, and there is the ability to use those "postcards" as your notification icon.

So, like Kratos was saying, there could have been the common issue of both messaging apps delivering the same notification, albeit with 2 different icons.

Food for thought.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones