• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messaging slow after 2.1 Upgrade

Stucco

May 22, 2010
I used MyBackup trial version to backup text messages, call logs, apps, etc and then upgraded to 2.1. After the upgrade my text message app takes a good 10-30 seconds to enter into. I can still see them fine and quickly in the status bar and the widget, but the app takes forever to load now, even if it's already running and I'm just switching people. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also having the same problem. I'm not sure if it's because the Hero just never deletes old SMS messages but I have some threads with over 500 messages. But even if I open a thread with only ten messages I always get a loading screen. Highly annoying. I tried also to delete all of my messages, it gave me a loading screen for a full hour and didn't delete a thing. Not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
yep 500 msgs, i just never really paid that much attention. Most phones will delete old messages automatically after a certain point. My wife's Moment is able to set a limit of so many messages per thread but haven't seen any such option on Hero. I guess I'll set it to delete messages before I go to sleep tonight and just let it run and see what happens. LOL.

Upvote 0
Well I finally got all the messages deleted. Seems to take at least 15 minutes to delete Any thread with more than 200 messages. I still get a loading screen every time I open a thread though. It's only about a second now but was certainly not there before update.

By the way, has anyone found how to use the speech-go-text feature yet? Seems like HTC didn't put a microphone button on the keyboard. Kind of an essential piece of Android 2.1 to be missing.

Upvote 0
I think the conclusion is that in version 2.1 the messaging app cannot handle many text messages as well as it could previously. Therefore alternatives are needed.

1) Delete messages (SMS Backup, or locking ones you want to keep and then deleting all the others)
2) Install alternate messaging app (ChompSMS, Handcent, etc)
3) ?? Any other suggestions welcome

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones