• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Messaging via APM Wifi

This may have been answered before, but I couldn't find it specific to my needs.

My wife and I are traveling on a 10 hour flight with some friends of ours this December, and we're sitting several rows apart. I have an AT&T MiFi Liberate that allows me to set it to "airplane mode" so that it doesn't attempt to connect to the cellular network, BUT still acts as a WiFi accesspoint we can all connect to. (There's no in flight wifi on this plane).

All of us have Android phones, and Android tablets we're taking. Does anyone know of an application we can use to send txt messages (or more if possible) to each other during the flight?

And as a bonus, anyone know of any Android games that allow this function? Play over network with not internet?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide :)

Using wifi on a plane not certified for it is a bit extralegal (the FAA doesn't exactly address the issue). But the bottom line on any plane, for almost any device (medical devices are exempted by law) is that the pilot has the last word - and you DO have to ask for permission. (And most pilots aren't willing to risk their careers, so they'll say no.)

It's still illegal to use any radio device below 10,000 feet.

Assuming you can use wifi during the flight, if you're using one of the phones as a hotspot, it's the same thing as connecting them to your home router. Any app or game that will work without a server will work.

Server may be enough for messaging. (I've never used it, but it looks like what you need.)

Upvote 0
Assuming you can use wifi during the flight, if you're using one of the phones as a hotspot, it's the same thing as connecting them to your home router. Any app or game that will work without a server will work.

Um, yeah, that's my question, I said I need an app that works without a connection to the internet. ;) And I'm not using my phone, I'm using a Mifi in "airplane mode" which of course wouldn't be on until we're over 10K feet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones