1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Messed a friends HTC desire. Plz help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ibrahim74, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I have rooted my HTC once, but this time when I tried rooting my friends phone I have stuck with error signature verification failed and device does not boot it goes to recovery. The present status is, s-off and alpharev unlocked hboot from alpharev 1.8.
    I have done the following procedures..
    The phone originally had a O2 splash screen and was on 2.2. I upgraded it to generic 2.3 via RUU update from pc. Later I used unrevoked to root it, got s-off but returned with error cannot push root as the firmware is new, something like that..
    Thinking that s-off means the phone can safely recovered, a updated to data++ hboot, to install leedroid ROM, but it returned with error signature verification failed.
    I tried signjar to sign the generic RUU after extracting the ROM from exe but same signature verification failed error.
    I have even tried flashing O2 ROM but same error.. the device just boots into recovery, I don't have option to toggle signature verification. I have tried amonra, and unrevoked to reroot but the phone does not respond.
    What do experts here advice me....
    Thanks...

Advertisement

2. Flumme

Flumme Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Sweden
    Keep reading the faq:s and guides in the stickies. they will tell you all you need to know.

On 2.3, you need to run the revolutionary method. Not unrevoked.

S-OFF means that you have successfully removed a security flag put on your phone by HTC to stop you from messing with anything too interesting (like ROM:s or hboots), so now you are able to fastboot flash stuff to your phone, among other things.

Once S-off, try pushing the SU-app (which means that you'll be rooted once that is successfully pushed to your phone).

When you are rooted, you will be able to flash another ROM.

Once again, READ ALL THE FAQ:s AND GUIDES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!

ibrahim74 likes this.
  3. spikyshotgun

spikyshotgun Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    ibrahim74 likes this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    unrevoked doesnt s-off, only roots, so lets get the correct terminology in place before we proceed. Did you use unrevoked or did you try to s-off? I suspect the former.

5. spikyshotgun

spikyshotgun Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    While on official 2.3, can we root using unrevoked? I used to think that if you are on official 2.3, you first need to S-off using revolutionary, only then you can root it.

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Keep thinking that :) - unrevoked cannot root official 2.3. So if it's S-Off either revolutionary was used or (less likely) was the phone already S-Off when the 2.3 RUU was run.

So, a few more questions for the OP. What recovery do you have if you don't have the signature verification toggle? And what PVT version/erase size is the phone? And how were you trying to change recovery? As Dan always says, give us the all the details, because that will help us diagnose the situation.

ibrahim74 and spikyshotgun like this.
  7. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    The phone was s-on when i got it.. I updated it to 2.3 I got s-off, I used revolutionary and unrevoked, and they were used back to back so could not remember which one was used last which got me s-off.. thanks for the help friends.. I'll try out the recommendations..

Thank you.

8. spikyshotgun

spikyshotgun Newbie
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    he he @Hadron Thanks. was kinda of sure unrevoked cannot root official 2.3. got my desire already on official 2.3 (poor student; got it second hand) no experience with unrevoked :(.

@ibrahim74 sill would like to know what your phone says: when you turn the phone off, pull out the battery for around 60 seconds, put the battery in and turn the phone on with volume down+ power button pressed

9. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    OK so you used Revolutionary to S-off. This is indeed step 1.

Step 2 is not to run unrevoked. Step 2 is to flash a custom recovery.

Step 3 depends if you want root on your current rom (never understood why) or whether you want a custom rom with root already.

So next step (2) is to decide which recovery you want. For new starters, CWM 2.5.0.7 or Amon RA 2.0.1 are recommended. It depends on your erase size.

It may be worth you reading through our rooting faq located in my signature and the "all about rooting" sticky thread. This will also tell you about erase size.

10. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Tried SUroot but same signature verification failed error.. attaching hboot as well as recovery screen for better understanding... Plz help...

Attached Files:

11. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Not sure what your pictures are supposed to show. That is exactly what it shoudl look like until you flash a recovery. Just going back to my last post, you need to read my rooting faq and work out which erase size you have. Then when you tell me what the erase size is (20,000 or 40,000) I will tell you what recoveries you can use, where to download them and how to flash them. Please dont try to skip steps.

12. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Guys, the phone is back to life... Just downloaded 2.2 Froyo from official site, put the phone in hboot/ fastboot and started update from pc..
    The conventional way to update did not work. But this did.. thanks once again...

13. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    great so I simply wasted my time asking you to do things in order and systematically.

Thanks for that! Why on earth did you bother asking for our experience if you just do random things that we havent recommended?!

14. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    UK

I guess he will be on his own next time he messes up his phone!

15. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Bro, I went thru all your recommendations but the problem was, whatever I did it never went beyond signature verification failed. Revolutionary did not recognize the phone nor did signjar worked. The phone just booted into recovery, I even tried putting ROM.zip after extracting it from exe, but signature verification always failed. But booting into fastboot and running the exe did the trick.. and it was because of you and others recommendations I had faith, that the phone will come back to life..
    I salute you all for the help you provide ppl over here..
    Thanks once again..

16. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    Nah... I shall ask for help whenever I am stuck, but before that I shall go thru the tutorial textbook style..

17. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    You were already s-off. All you needed to do was flash a recovery. Nothing i recommended would result in signature verification error. You dont seem to have done anything I was trying to recommend to you.

ibrahim74 likes this.
  18. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    you didnt do what was asked
    you were asked to check the eraze size of the phone so we can tell you what recovery to flash and then flash the recovery we recommend and it would have fixed the issue

with revolutionary the recovery doesnt always flash correctly and we dont recommend the recovery it flashes anyway.

your actions can be quite hazzerdous. if you do stuff like flashing data++ hboot you neeed to know what you were doing.
    through any of this process did you check the MD5's of the files you were flashing. flashing a corrupt hboot could kill the device perminantly and as its not even your device you should take a hell of a lot more care

in future do what is asked, we are specific because we dont want you to mess your device up

ibrahim74 and SUroot like this.
  19. ibrahim74

ibrahim74 Newbie
    None

Jan 6, 2012
    I completely agree with you Bro, I accept that i did not follow recommendations given by SUroot and others, and ended up messing with the phone. I thought that i had done it successfully on my phone on first shot so could do it on this too, my over confident approach taught me a lesson, and hope ppl reading this shall get a lesson too, I was on the verge of loosing my phone which I would have given him, incase I was not successful in bringing back to life.. thanks to God and ppl like you and SUroot and others who are ever ready to help that i was saved from that situation..

SUroot likes this.
  20. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Ok. Well let's all leave it at that :)

ibrahim74 likes this.
  21. Mattb81

Mattb81 Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Australia
    So he now has an unrooted phone after running an RUU and hes happy about it?

I thought the whole point was he was trying to root it and messed up?

Tags: