• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Messed up my phone...

bionik9

Aug 15, 2010
Rooted, lagfixed, titanium backup (deleted some of the bloatware as directed on the forums), setCPU...

Now, my phone shuts off randomly. If I hit the sleep button, it may shut off, may not. Earlier, it got caught in a vibration loop.

I'm doing battery pulls ten times a day now. Thing's going haywire.

How can I get my phone back to what it was like before I messed with it?

And save the flames - I don't care about them. I have a phone I need fixed.

Alright, bootsie - thanks for the tips. How long does it take to finish? I feel like I lost a family member lol.

What will I have to do when all is said and done? Reload contacts? Redownload everything from the market? Anything else? Will it be fast like it was from the factory?

And is it me or does this phone get exponentially slower with each app you have on it? I don't have a lot, but it was getting slow, which is the reason I rooted it to begin with (setCPU).

Upvote 0
Alright, bootsie - thanks for the tips. How long does it take to finish? I feel like I lost a family member lol.

What will I have to do when all is said and done? Reload contacts? Redownload everything from the market? Anything else? Will it be fast like it was from the factory?

And is it me or does this phone get exponentially slower with each app you have on it? I don't have a lot, but it was getting slow, which is the reason I rooted it to begin with (setCPU).

I know exactly how you feel. I was sweating big time when it happened. The biggest pain in the ass is getting ODIN and Download mode chatting. Once ODIN sees it, its pretty quick. Had to do it about 4 times before they were talking right.

I agree with the slowdowns. That is why I went the ROOT/Custom ROM/ SETCPU route. and my phone FLYS NOW!!! and had ridiculous battery life

Upvote 0
You should have NEVER deleted bloatware because ALL stock apps on the Vibrant are scripted to work together... Even though people may have had success with it, all rooting methods are different and work in seperate ways. I did the same thing you did and ended up almost bricking my phone. I ended up flashing the Stock Samsung firmware and starting over from scratch. ODIN is a great program to do this but make sure you do EVERYTHING exactly how your told or you could fully brick your phone.

Take your time and if ODIN doesn't recognize your phone in Download mode right away just try again and again and again if you need to. Just be patient and give yourself alot of time to do it.

Hope I helped you out with your problem!

Upvote 0
You should have NEVER deleted bloatware because ALL stock apps on the Vibrant are scripted to work together... Even though people may have had success with it,

I wouldnt go this far, it was the first thing I did and never had an issue, their are tons of developers who have posted proper ways to delete bloatware. You do however need to be careful what you delete. But it can be done with overwhelming success!

Upvote 0
So am I starting from scratch after this? For example, am I reconfiguring my emails, copying SIM contacts back to phone, all pictures etc will be gone?

And by proxy, will all of the changes I made prior to this mishap be gone completely (ie. lagfix, setCPU download, root, deletions on titanium backup)?

Upvote 0
How long should this take? I've been watching Odin for like 10 minutes now and nothing much is happening... Also, I used the 512 PIT file like the author of that page suggested, but why was there a 513 PIT file included in the Odin .rar?

start odin and mount the 512.pit you want to use the 512!

then mount the jfd.tar on the PDA

then do a battery pull on your phone and put it back in. then press vol up and vol down at the same time and plug your usb into the phone (make sure its plugged into your computer first)

you will see the download mode on the phone (yellow screen)
and odin will say added.

follow the guide provided for the rest.

the biggest mistake is not being in the real download mode. above is the best method IMO. doing anything in odin is at your own risk and im not responsible for anything that happens.

hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Okay... I followed the instruction provided to a T. It said to get into download mode (which I definitely am) and then to start Odin by mounting those files and hitting start.

Are you saying I should do that the other way around? It already says "Added".

In fact, it says:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..

However, this has been like this for a while now.

Upvote 0
Okay... I followed the instruction provided to a T. It said to get into download mode (which I definitely am) and then to start Odin by mounting those files and hitting start.

Are you saying I should do that the other way around? It already says "Added".

In fact, it says:

<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..

However, this has been like this for a while now.

it should go rather quickly takes less than 15 min.

I would restart odin... remount the files in odin THEN connect the phone that is in download mode then press start... that was the best method for me... I had the same issue you had.

again im not responsible for your phone while following these instructions.

Upvote 0
if your still having problems then you need to flash the eugenes froyo that dosent brick rom...

Fix 1:
1. Download Eugenes 'Froyo that does not brick' file.
2. Extract the files.
3. Open Odin, plug in your phone, then put it into download mode.
4. load the PIT file in appropriate area.
5. load the .tar file in the PDA area.
6. DO NOT check 're-partition'.
7. Click start, let it finish. Your phone will load and reboot into stock recovery. It will error out again. DONT panic! This is what's supposed to happen.
8. Now, pull your battery.
9. Download the 'True stock 2.1 firmware for the vibrant'.
10. Extract the files.
11. Once again, open Odin, plug in your phone, put into download mode.
12. Load the PIT file into the appropriate area and the .tar in the PDA area.
13. THIS TIME you want to check the 're-partition' box.
14. Now click start, let it finish, and this time your phone will load up just fine! BAM!

again do at your own risk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones