1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Messenger for SMS

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by dweissca, Jul 12, 2016.

1. dweissca

dweissca Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Hi , I just started using messenger for SMS. I noticed two problems.

1) if I get two different text messages it will group the two chat heads into one. Would be cool if there was a way to separate them.

2) It dropped my customized notifications sounds which is probably the biggest deal breaker for me

Anybody have any suggestions or other messaging apps that would provide similar functionality?

Many thanks,

Dan

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

Go into settings in messenger, look for MMS, there should be an option to keep them separate. I don't use that one so don't know exactly what it will say, that should get you close though. I'm assuming you are talking about group texts?

Again, in settings, there is an option for notifications. Your customized sound should appear on the list if you saved it as a notification.

There are a ton of apps, if you hate that one look at Chomp (or Textra, same dev) or Hangouts, those are my 'go to' choices.

Welcome to the forums!

dweissca likes this.
  3. dweissca

dweissca Lurker
    None

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Hey ! thanks for the reply. What I meant was I switched over to facebook messenger as the default sms app to try it out. Which means I now get chatheads for my sms texts which is awesome. However, there's only one chat head no matter now many contacts I'm talking with. I was hoping there was a way to have multiple chat heads for the same program? Ie one chat head for texting with my gf and one chathead for texting with my best friend.

The notifications question is the same. I know I can change the notification sound for messenger default but I want it to make a different sound depending on which contact I'm getting a message from. Just like normal SMS does. From some googling it looks like this used to be possible on different OS versions but got broken somewhere along the lines.

Again thanks for the response!

4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

Oh. Well. I'm out then :D Don't use FB, hate it actually. We won't go there though. Just sit tight and someone else will help you. lol

dweissca likes this.