• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Met a really nice VZW salesman today...

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
I was in the store and this very well-educated man comes over to me and asks me if I want help. I said I was only there to look at the Bionic. He answered eloquently saying something like, "Perhaps you'd like to gather information and when you have more, I could be of service to you." He said it better than that. So I asked him, why he was working there. He was obviously some highly educated CEO or something.

I figured either I had insulted him or complimented him. He took it the right way.

We discussed the Bionic, quadrant scores, speedtest, etc. I told him about my rooted DX. He was kind enough to tell me that if I ever had trouble with my DX to unroot it first before I returned it! I thought that was interesting for two reasons.

Firstly, I had known that already and secondly, we are having this moral debate on whether it is right or wrong to do so, once the warranty is breached and how to handle it on our forums.

So, I told him that if rooting were the cause, I would eat it, but if it was a hardware problem, I'd restore the system and return it, because I felt that returning a phone for rooted related problems would definitely be immoral. He agreed. Besides, I can fix any OS/Rooting related problem on my phone, anyway. ;)

We went on and on talking about stuff and I told him about the Vigor (I think I called it the Viper by mistake!) and the Nexus/Droid Prime. He had heard about that. I rattled off some rumored specs to him. After I purchased some accessories for my wife's and son's phones, he did something that really impressed me.

He took my info (business card) because he said he would like to keep in touch in order to stay on top of Android info. I asked him if he was going to report me as a rooter. He laughed.

So, I told him I was a moderator on Android Forums. I told him to come down. I'd help him out and show him around. (That's what I do here. I'm really a glorified guide. ;)) I have his business card and he has mine. I hope he signs up here.

What really impressed me about him was that he was interested in learning and recognized the fact that I had information he didn't. True humility. You can't learn without recognizing that you need to learn. This guy was amazing. He impressed me as being someone who could be a corporate leader or big wig. I hope he joins up and flags me down.

Some folks put VZW employees down. I don't. I've had quite a different experience all around.

Steven

And Steven has hooked another follower..... ;)

haha, our Stevie is special. He's like a mother duckling and just gather up all of the lost ducklings under his wings!!

I hope the sales guy join and see your nice little thread :)

I made a friend with a Sales Rep from Bell (I'm on Rogers). He's the only sales guy that kept up with me when I talk Android. Most of the time, I just want to strangle them when they ramble off about Android >_>;;; I've noticed that since Android is the most popular OS (or 2nd most anyway), a lot of the sales people are getting more knowledgeable (than before). I've had some decent conversations with a few sales rep though nothing to the Bell sales rep, lol. I'd go there during lunch break to chat with him. I think the other reps think I have a crush on him XD Actually I think they think I'm weird talking about bootloader and 2ndinit and under vaulting the Atrix, lol. And I have stolen their jobs a few times, where I answered the customer's questions since they can't. Yup...I'm the weird annoying customer XD

Upvote 0
Good to hear that there's still some respect going around for CSRs and WSEs. Here's a quick story that I think adds to this.

I was having trouble with my g/f's DInc. I knew I was going to replace it, as the TB, Revo, and Charge had all just come out. So I went to VZW to see a tech and look at the new phones. While I'm waiting to get seen by the tech, I'm checking out the phones, when a CSR approaches to assist me. We talk and it's obvious that I'm an educated user. When it's my turn to see the tech, he walks me over. The tech looks at it for a while, and I go back to the phones.

The CSR returns to me the phone to tell me the prob with the phone was because I was running an "unauthorized" version of Android. He then points out that I'm running 3.3, and that the highest any version of Android went up to was 2.3 I just had to laugh. I was running UD3.3 on it, and the fact that a tech couldn't tell where to find the Android version (which is right underneath the ROM version) told me all I needed to know. Now, I half expected this, I knew I was replacing this unusable phone so I figured it didn't matter what they thought. So I took the time to give a small education to a tech who just seemed lost. Meanwhile the CSR is just kinda laughing through this.

After all this, the CSR suggests that maybe I should consider a career in this field. I figured they only made about $25,000 and wasn't about to take a pay cut. That's when I learned how much they make. I'd make at least double what I was with triple being a real possibility. I've been a grunt all my life, I never went to college, and the reality of making that kind of money at this age is a mere pipe dream, but this made it seem plausible. Too bad I have no experience to warrant an interview when hundreds of people are applying for the same job.

A week or so later I head to Costco to purchase a new phone for the girlie, knowing it's going to be cheaper there. Wind up talking to the KM there for a while about these phones, and he sees I at least know what I'm talking about. I mention that I was considering a move to this field when he mentions that he just hired a guy who didn't show up and texted that he found something else. Turns out that day became my interview. lol

So now I work for Wireless Advocates selling phones at Costco. And this site is directly responsible. Almost all the knowledge I've gained over the years is because of this site and the members that make it great. I now have an opportunity I wouldn't otherwise get, and I have each and every one of you to thank for it. So while you salute the CSRs and WSEs who make for a great experience, I salute you who has made my experience great.

Upvote 0
GREAT story Yankee :D I'd love to be a CSR on the side just for the hell of it...well to earn so extra cash. My dream side job is to be a bartendress, lol.

Thank you. I must say I def enjoy it. I've wasted so much time keeping up with mobile technology for free, so it's nice that I can get paid for it.

And that's a very admirable dream. Tell ya what, you can grab me a beer. I'm here to make dreams come true.

Upvote 0
Good to hear that there's still some respect going around for CSRs and WSEs. Here's a quick story that I think adds to this.

I was having trouble with my g/f's DInc. I knew I was going to replace it, as the TB, Revo, and Charge had all just come out. So I went to VZW to see a tech and look at the new phones. While I'm waiting to get seen by the tech, I'm checking out the phones, when a CSR approaches to assist me. We talk and it's obvious that I'm an educated user. When it's my turn to see the tech, he walks me over. The tech looks at it for a while, and I go back to the phones.

The CSR returns to me the phone to tell me the prob with the phone was because I was running an "unauthorized" version of Android. He then points out that I'm running 3.3, and that the highest any version of Android went up to was 2.3 I just had to laugh. I was running UD3.3 on it, and the fact that a tech couldn't tell where to find the Android version (which is right underneath the ROM version) told me all I needed to know. Now, I half expected this, I knew I was replacing this unusable phone so I figured it didn't matter what they thought. So I took the time to give a small education to a tech who just seemed lost. Meanwhile the CSR is just kinda laughing through this.

After all this, the CSR suggests that maybe I should consider a career in this field. I figured they only made about $25,000 and wasn't about to take a pay cut. That's when I learned how much they make. I'd make at least double what I was with triple being a real possibility. I've been a grunt all my life, I never went to college, and the reality of making that kind of money at this age is a mere pipe dream, but this made it seem plausible. Too bad I have no experience to warrant an interview when hundreds of people are applying for the same job.

A week or so later I head to Costco to purchase a new phone for the girlie, knowing it's going to be cheaper there. Wind up talking to the KM there for a while about these phones, and he sees I at least know what I'm talking about. I mention that I was considering a move to this field when he mentions that he just hired a guy who didn't show up and texted that he found something else. Turns out that day became my interview. lol

So now I work for Wireless Advocates selling phones at Costco. And this site is directly responsible. Almost all the knowledge I've gained over the years is because of this site and the members that make it great. I now have an opportunity I wouldn't otherwise get, and I have each and every one of you to thank for it. So while you salute the CSRs and WSEs who make for a great experience, I salute you who has made my experience great.

Now If only this could happen to me, it's a great story. Maybe I should look into changing career fields, I love doing this stuff in my free time. If I were to do it as a job I would be a pretty happy person.

Good for you though. :)

Upvote 0
So, mobile phone salesmen make $50k/year? hmmm, I guess maybe I was wrong, I always thought it was one of those $20k-$30k/year jobs.

I have like 5 years of auto sales experience, if I would make $50k a year +, it might worth it to look into that.

That's what I thought, too. When the CSR told me about it, he was like, "How much do you think we make?" to which I figured about $25k. He shook his head. I went up in increments of $5k, each time shaking his head until he finally told me that every one that had been in that store a year made about $60k, and then pointed out a guy who made almost $90k.

I didn't add that when I was talking to TS after that, I had a short convo with the tech while he was trying to fix the prob I was having. Brought it up to inquire, and he told me that CSRs in major markets can easily see six figures.

I'm not seeing anywhere near that, but I'm only part time and only have about 2 months under my belt, but I really see the potential. I figure that when I work my way up to full time, I'll be doing a lot better. But what's really great is the guys I work with. It's so laid back, and there's no pressure. We just do our jobs, we help each other out, and we're not out to force anything down someone's throat, but to help the make the most informed decision they can. The name of our company is Wireless Advocates, and we def live up to that name.

Now If only this could happen to me, it's a great story. Maybe I should look into changing career fields, I love doing this stuff in my free time. If I were to do it as a job I would be a pretty happy person.

Good for you though. :)

Thanks! It was just a perfect storm that lead me here, and I'm grateful to be in the situation I'm in. Not everyone can turn something they love into a career.

There's far too many sales reps that are just salesmen, and out to make as much money as they can. I suppose they get the job done and meet the bottom line which the companies are looking for. But there's no where near enough people in this field who truly love their craft enough to be well educated not just for their own personal growth, but for the benefit of the customer to best meet their needs.

Being that I'm in Costco, many of our customers I see every couple weeks. I always tell them after a sale that they should stop by and say hello whenever they make the trip and ask a question or two. You can learn something new every visit.

If you feel anything like that, then perhaps this may be the right field for you, too. People will always need phones, and they'll always need to make an informed decision.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones