• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Metro 2.2 Froyo, Rooted, deodex, bloatware removed

If you try running PlayfulMod on a Cricket Ascend, a UIM error is inevitable. This is why it's for MetroPCS Ascends ONLY

I'm on metro, it ran great for a couple days, came home, plugged it in my comp. (Ubuntu) & that's when the UIM popped up, never had any issues with any of his others, was just looking to change it up from the cm builds, doesn't look like that's happening though...

Upvote 0
I have been using the ROM for a while now, love it, but there are apps in the market I cannot get, says uncompatible with my phone. Some that were useable but now are not and some I cannot get to like Instagram. I changed the build.prop file to say my model is nexus s and the manufacturer to samsung, but the market still says my phone is the m860 huawei model, is there something else in the build.prop file that i have to change to make it think I am something else that will let me download these files??? Help please!! I did have a thread in the main threads, but since I used these files, throught someone in this thread might have a better idea about this particular rom.
Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is still supported, I'd like to try it though.
I downloaded Playfulmod_v1.1 and installed it (3 times). No data connections.
Tried running Metroff and still no data. I seem to have a very lazy Ascend.
Currently running Icarus. I tried CM7 and every variant I tried will not boot. Tried CM6, and it runs for about 3 or 4 hours ok but then gets buggy.
I installed a cpu control (No frills cpu), clocked it down and things were much better. The only issue that plagued me was the screen would stop rotating. Usually locked in landscape mode. The chief drawback I find with Icarus is the web browsers keep crashing. I am fairly certain it is caused by site content and maybe a different mod won't help. CM6 seemed to be a bit faster than Icarus, Playfulmod also looked pretty good but with no data i can't use it. I believe that I read somewhere that I might need to install the Metro stock 2.2 first. Hesitant to do so. Phone is rooted with CWM 2.5.1.8 installed. Appreciate any help.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is still supported, I'd like to try it though.
I downloaded Playfulmod_v1.1 and installed it (3 times). No data connections.
Tried running Metroff and still no data. I seem to have a very lazy Ascend.
Currently running Icarus. I tried CM7 and every variant I tried will not boot. Tried CM6, and it runs for about 3 or 4 hours ok but then gets buggy.
I installed a cpu control (No frills cpu), clocked it down and things were much better. The only issue that plagued me was the screen would stop rotating. Usually locked in landscape mode. The chief drawback I find with Icarus is the web browsers keep crashing. I am fairly certain it is caused by site content and maybe a different mod won't help. CM6 seemed to be a bit faster than Icarus, Playfulmod also looked pretty good but with no data i can't use it. I believe that I read somewhere that I might need to install the Metro stock 2.2 first. Hesitant to do so. Phone is rooted with CWM 2.5.1.8 installed. Appreciate any help.

WOW, not even the LAZY versions of CM7 will not run......
Your ASCEND isn't lazy..... it's COMATOSE. :p

But seriously, the one thing I'd try is running the V6 SUPERCHARGER SCRIPT w/your current ROM.

SCUR put together an excellent 'how to' thread on the installation of this script,just perform a search for the thread by SCUR right here in the ASCEND forum.
It may seem daunting @ first, but, even I got it right the first time out. :D

Reactions: n_spect_r
Upvote 0
Glad to hear you had success w/the V6 SUPERCHARGER SCRIPT.

Yes, this phone, if nothing else, is a lot of fun, learning what works & what doesn't.

I wish you could have been around when this forum was jumping w/activity. It was as if all of us ASCENDERS were the BORG, operating as one, yet, w/a big difference, as we all pulled together to help everyone out, until they got their phone up to speed.
There was always someone available to help, 24/7, the community never slept!
GREAT TIMES.......... :D

Upvote 0
Could not resist playing with this some more. I put in CW 3.0.0.5 and tried Playful_mod again. Still the same. I did however learn that a backup made with 2.5.8 will not successfully restore with 3.0.0.5. Back up and running Icarus1.1. I have the stock Metro 2.2 update. Trying to decide if I want to do that. I make the assumption that if I do the phone will need to e rooted and CW reinstalled.

Upvote 0
Here is where I am tonight. I heard back from PG and he said I might try installing the Metro 2.2.2 upgrade first. Tried that and could not root, which was expected. I pushed the original stock Ascend firmware back in then ran the upgrade, still not able to root. Tried several different variants of Gingerbreak, maybe that was the wrong exploit. The 2.2.2 upgrade runs OK but is loaded with bloatware so I ended up going back to original, rooted and put Icarus back in. I am sure there is a way, not going to give up but it will have to wait until next week.

Upvote 0
I played with this last night for a few hours and here is where I am now.
I managed to root with super one click. Superuser is installed along with Playfulmod_1.1. Network data is working but for some reason I cannot delete any metro files. I have used ES file explorer in the past with root permissions but now it does not delete files in the Cust/metropcs directory. I can go into the System/app folder and delete, success removing protips from there. Head scratcher here.

Upvote 0
After trying a couple of different free root browsers I decided to take a chance and bought the Root Explorer. A good $4 investment as now all of the Metro crap is gone. I actually like my phone tonight.
Thanks to all of you that keep this page going.

ROOT EXPLORER is a solid choice,I even use it on my non-rooted phone.

Another couple of apps you may find very useful is SD MAID & MASQED CRUSADER. Both have free & paid versions.
Definitely worth a look.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones