• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro pcs BYOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem i have with the note 3 is teh note 2 was a exynos 4412 which is a quad core samsung chip. at this time on the metropcs sgs3 we have more roms than they do on the sprint note 2, and im sure on many of the other variants.

the note 3 uses teh exynos 5xxx series and is teh same little.BIG cpu in the international sgs4 (i9500). so you aren't jumping in cores, or even a big jump in clock speed, you go from a 5.5 720p screen to a 5.7 1080p.

with knowing how dead aosp is going to be on the note 3 i just dont even consider it a contender anymore. back in may they got a cwm tree working, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2278504 its been sitting there ever since. no one has a booting build of aosp on a i9500 to date. hopefully by the time the note 3 comes out that can be fixed, but due to hardware differences would mean a big undertaking to then port that on over.

if they release a note 3 with qualcomm chipsets (cmon snapdragon 800!!!) then ill be interested, otherwise ill sit back and enjoy all the options available on my s4 with similar specs and spare 200 bucks.

Upvote 0
True Shabby.. but then again..i haven't rom'd my s3 once yet..and I rooted just to debloat.. if I could just debloat the note3 then im PERFECT with that.. the s3 is actually super nice and smooth with how many apps as are on the device or pics or videos I take it holds up WELL! unlike the esteem I had that would lag ALOT after the ram gets used up which made me want to rom because they ran much better on the device..

Upvote 0
the problem i have with the note 3 is teh note 2 was a exynos 4412 which is a quad core samsung chip. at this time on the metropcs sgs3 we have more roms than they do on the sprint note 2, and im sure on many of the other variants.

the note 3 uses teh exynos 5xxx series and is teh same little.BIG cpu in the international sgs4 (i9500). so you aren't jumping in cores, or even a big jump in clock speed, you go from a 5.5 720p screen to a 5.7 1080p.

with knowing how dead aosp is going to be on the note 3 i just dont even consider it a contender anymore. back in may they got a cwm tree working, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2278504 its been sitting there ever since. no one has a booting build of aosp on a i9500 to date. hopefully by the time the note 3 comes out that can be fixed, but due to hardware differences would mean a big undertaking to then port that on over.

if they release a note 3 with qualcomm chipsets (cmon snapdragon 800!!!) then ill be interested, otherwise ill sit back and enjoy all the options available on my s4 with similar specs and spare 200 bucks.

Rumor is the G2 will have the 800. 3GB ram and 2+ mhz processor.

So I'm curious about something. The hatred of LG and locked bootloaders. If you can root/rom/mod the LG then what's it matter? Serious question.

Am I missing something? Cause the flagship/popular LG phones I've seen from the past 1.5 year or so all have root/recovery/rom etc.... So what's the dislike from the mod people for? Trying to understand.

Upvote 0
:D:D:D:D:D

2enm5wz.jpg

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
Rumor is the G2 will have the 800. 3GB ram and 2+ mhz processor.

So I'm curious about something. The hatred of LG and locked bootloaders. If you can root/rom/mod the LG then what's it matter? Serious question.

Am I missing something? Cause the flagship/popular LG phones I've seen from the past 1.5 year or so all have root/recovery/rom etc.... So what's the dislike from the mod people for? Trying to understand.

didnt mention lg at all... but anyways, the issue is you cant just easily mod the lg. with a unlocked device you root and then flash cwm and rom/mod, with a locked device you have to find a way around that bootloader. metro's current lg devices are so lucky that the 2nd-init recovery works for them without editing it.

the issue with 2nd init is that should something go wrong, you get stuck in a bootloop only way to fix it is via flashing the stock lg firmware which means your data is wiped and so is root. it means that cm is now worlds harder, where instead on the majority of samsung devices you can flash recovery without needing root. in fact thats how many devices get root for samsungs.

the general hardware failings of lg certainly helped them in my eyes either, the lg optimus 2x was their first high end phone and it was wretched. screens leaking light, several people having the screen detach from the glue and slide around inside their phone. then of course the whole nexus 4 fiasco, massive amounts of shortages for it for a long time through the google store, meanwhile lg made a good bit and sold to other sites/stores, add in the whole lte mishap and its easy to see why google passed over them for the nexus 5. samsung certainly isnt without fault mind you but i cant think of a device they messed up that badly on.

I've had Moto (pretty good except the cameras are terrible), HTC, LG, and Samsung. i keep coming back to samsung because they offer what i tend to want/need most, an amazing camera, beautiful screens, top of the line specs, fast updates, guaranteed root (thanks to odin). if i couldnt have a high end samsung then moto would be my next choice.

but like i said, my post was more of talking about why i dont think the note 3 is a good buy, so i dont really see the reason why you brought lg up at all...

Upvote 0
I think the Real Gem in that link was buried. This one.

"This Wednesday, T-Mobile has a media event in New York City and is expected to announce that it will no longer sell new CDMA powered handsets for MetroPCS customers although it will support them until the end of 2015"

I request a 21 gun salute for the Motion and Spirit. :D

Getting ready for a blow out sale on CDMA?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
I think the Real Gem in that link was buried. This one.

"This Wednesday, T-Mobile has a media event in New York City and is expected to announce that it will no longer sell new CDMA powered handsets for MetroPCS customers although it will support them until the end of 2015"

I request a 21 gun salute for the Motion and Spirit. :D

Getting ready for a blow out sale on CDMA?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Right and their are ahead of schedule too still some people question us when we told them about the Huawei being the last cdma phone metro will sell and look how they have clear inventory lol waiting to see what the note 3 will offer since I just read it will come in various options if not will grab me the s4 :D

Upvote 0
didnt mention lg at all... but anyways, the issue is you cant just easily mod the lg. with a unlocked device you root and then flash cwm and rom/mod, with a locked device you have to find a way around that bootloader. metro's current lg devices are so lucky that the 2nd-init recovery works for them without editing it.

the issue with 2nd init is that should something go wrong, you get stuck in a bootloop only way to fix it is via flashing the stock lg firmware which means your data is wiped and so is root. it means that cm is now worlds harder, where instead on the majority of samsung devices you can flash recovery without needing root. in fact thats how many devices get root for samsungs.

the general hardware failings of lg certainly helped them in my eyes either, the lg optimus 2x was their first high end phone and it was wretched. screens leaking light, several people having the screen detach from the glue and slide around inside their phone. then of course the whole nexus 4 fiasco, massive amounts of shortages for it for a long time through the google store, meanwhile lg made a good bit and sold to other sites/stores, add in the whole lte mishap and its easy to see why google passed over them for the nexus 5. samsung certainly isnt without fault mind you but i cant think of a device they messed up that badly on.

I've had Moto (pretty good except the cameras are terrible), HTC, LG, and Samsung. i keep coming back to samsung because they offer what i tend to want/need most, an amazing camera, beautiful screens, top of the line specs, fast updates, guaranteed root (thanks to odin). if i couldnt have a high end samsung then moto would be my next choice.

but like i said, my post was more of talking about why i dont think the note 3 is a good buy, so i dont really see the reason why you brought lg up at all...

I know you didn't bring up LG but I did earlier being that the G2 is going to be the Note 3s competitor and the G2 is rumored to have the 800 which is what was being discussed. Which led to the question at hand. I just didn't understand the bootloader gripe.

That's all. Question answered. Carry on.

Upvote 0
The press release just mentions 4G... not really much about LTE (except on one little line saying that the phone is capable of it). Has anyone tested the speeds with BYOD or S4? LTE possible?
I have that same question too? According to that same press release theirs a line that says "Galaxy S 4’s HSPA+/LTE connectivity offers a blazing-fast Internet experience for quick browsing, multimedia viewing and effortless content uploading." :thinking: If this is true that SG4 has both radios then that's Good and the phone will sell well. One way to know is with the model #, and my sources tell me it does. I just want make sure before running and spending 5 Benjamins.

Upvote 0

This thread has wandered around enough. Gman has started some new threads where the issues can be discussed. Let's keep those focused on the topic.

I'm closing this thread down. If you have any questions, drop me a line.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones