• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Metro PCS has 3G now!!!

Update: still getting 3g in st pete but couldn't do a speed test because it kept coming back network communication error. So instead I tethered it to my laptop and tried downloading a file to see what speed it was downloading at. Normally with 1x I was getting about 12-15kB/s. With 3g I'm getting 19-22kB/s. Not a big difference but I'm still stoked because I'm getting anything at all with 3g. I'm hoping they are still working out the kinks and the speed will increase. So to recap: 3g is working (though slowly) in st pete, fl on prl 3019. I'd still love to test prl 3023 though so please someone upload it when you can.

Upvote 0
these directions ;) ;
For those of you that have Ascend and 3023 PRL and are on stock froyo, please try this to extract the PRL.

I will post this guide..let me know if it works for Ascend..you will need a program called CDMA WORKSHOP 2.7, I can't post the link here. You will also need to have the ascend usb drivers.

Download and install usb drivers for Ascend from here: ascend_usb_drivers.zip

On Phone Dial this code
*#*#2846579#*#*
A menu will pop up
Then
Go to projectmenu -- Background Settings -- USB Port -- (select) Manufacture mode
Then
Go To settings -- About Phone -- Status -- MEID (write down your MEID)

GO to whiterabbit's android site and enter your MEID and click on CALCULATE and this will give you your metro SPC code, write it down. android - whiterabbit.org

Make sure on Phone USB Debugging is on
Now On Windows go to device manager -- ports -- DBAdapter Reserved Interface
(Remember your COM PORT)

Now open CDMA Workshop and choose the port you took note of earlier...click connect. Open the security tab and enter the SPC in the box and click SPC then send.
Now go to Other tab and under the PRL section click on READ (Universal, NAM1), this will let you save the PRL to a .prl file on your PC. Save it and upload it here .

Let me know if this works for you if not PM me with your error codes.

Upvote 0
i got the 3023 PRL but no 3G, i live in Brandon near Tampa, tomorrow i'll be heading down to South Tampa. thanx Nuttmeg for the PRL.

x1xfk1.jpg

Upvote 0
so i didnt pay my bill yet but notice i have the 3g sign n it say my service is connected but not disconnected i flash back to cm7 after doing the prl update when i was on the stock 2.2.2 it didnt have 3g sign and did say service disconnected werid right.... lol i thought i was going to have free metro service lmao... so when i finally decide to take the time to actually pay my bill will anything weird will happen to my service???... would be mad that i paid a bill for a phone that doesnt work i think everthing should be fine i hope....:thinking::(

Upvote 0
so i didnt pay my bill yet but notice i have the 3g sign n it say my service is connected but not disconnected i flash back to cm7 after doing the prl update when i was on the stock 2.2.2 it didnt have 3g sign and did say service disconnected werid right.... lol i thought i was going to have free metro service lmao... so when i finally decide to take the time to actually pay my bill will anything weird will happen to my service???... would be mad that i paid a bill for a phone that doesnt work i think everthing should be fine i hope....:thinking::(

everything works, only if metro is down in your area would be the only issue...but like anything, Do It At Your Own Risk!!!

Upvote 0
No I couldnt even tell you the last time I did flash the MetrOff. Ive never had the roaming indicator and have never had an issue with mms. I had to switch to Bob's build to push it because no drivers will install on PG's new build and I got it right away when my phone rebooted and then it went a way like 3 minutes later while I was typing that but I just switched back to PGs and it never showed up. Ill go flash MetrOff just for the hell of it tho. Is the one on the wiki the updated one?

Upvote 0
No I couldnt even tell you the last time I did flash the MetrOff. Ive never had the roaming indicator and have never had an issue with mms. I had to switch to Bob's build to push it because no drivers will install on PG's new build and I got it right away when my phone rebooted and then it went a way like 3 minutes later while I was typing that but I just switched back to PGs and it never showed up. Ill go flash MetrOff just for the hell of it tho. Is the one on the wiki the updated one?

yes should be, and also depending on bobz build on the wiki it says usb mounting is broke so if you tried pushing prl threw usb on bobz rom and you got an error or it didnt make it threw thats cause there's an issue with transfering files using usb method.

Upvote 0
I have the broken usb build. And Ive never had problem. Still dont. Only "problem" I have had concerning usb is one of the driver wont istall so the debugging wont work, but the debugging will work if I toggle it off and on in the settings then it works.

Ran a speed test. My 3g is slow as shiiit. ping 188ms DL- 150kbps upload- 78kbps

Sad thing is its still faster then when on 1x ahaha

Upvote 0
I have the broken usb build. And Ive never had problem. Still dont. Only "problem" I have had concerning usb is one of the driver wont istall so the debugging wont work, but the debugging will work if I toggle it off and on in the settings then it works.

Ran a speed test. My 3g is slow as shiiit. ping 188ms DL- 150kbps upload- 78kbps

Sad thing is its still faster then when on 1x ahaha

true dat, i need to upload a video and show everyone my speed at glance moving from page to page...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones